Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Festival pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Festival pics

I did the 50-mile bike ride for the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Festival this past Saturday. They also have 25 and 100 mile options. Here is the link to my photos from the event: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/album.php?albumid=22 Also, for some reason the pics showed up in reverse order after I saved the album, so make sure the first pic is of my bike and the last of the shed.

Additional info about the event: It is held in Harrisonburg, VA, about a 2 hour drive from the DC area. The community center that hosts the event is Our Community Place, which provides services and food to those that are homeless or down-and-out. The second half of the 50-mile bike ride features a brutal 8-mile section full of long and steep climbs, one of which has a rest stop at its midpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics! I did the 100 mile route, and it was a great day for the most part. Sure got hot and a bit humid on the homestretch though. This ride took a lot more out of me than I expected. I'm still getting back up to speed after being off the bike for awhile, so I'm a bit out of shape. When I got backI was only at 99 miles, so I had to circle the neighborhood a bit to go over 100

I think this is a great cause, and it was great to see all the volunteers getting involved in the meals, the rest stops etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on the Group Ride thread that you were going to be wearing your BikeForums.net kit, but I did not see you. I was wearing my HRC (Human Rights Campaign) kit. Kudos to you for taking on the 100-mile ride (I hope to someday be able to do it), and I agree wholeheartedly on the fact that the early morning had excellent weather that slowly became hotter and more humid towards noon.

Did you check out the professional photos they took? They gave out a card during registration where you can order prints online, and the photos look pretty cool. I checked out some of the photos to try and find myself (narcisissm be damned), but it was pretty tedious trying to look through pages and pages of thumbnails to hope the person in a yellow kit was actually me (eventually I succeeded).

I've done the 50-mile ride about 5 times now. I think next year I will shoot for the legendary 100!
    Last edited by bobco85; 07-31-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: forgot the word "thread"

Post Thanks / Like

The 100-mile group left at 7:00, so that's probably why you didn't see me. I was pulling up the rear of the group

I'll have to check out the pics. Thanks for the reminder. I know they got one long-lens shot of me crawling up a hill with my jersey zipped all the way down. Not sure anybody really needs to see that...