Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking Of Happy Hours...Proposal For Recurring Happy Hour(s)

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Speaking Of Happy Hours...Proposal For Recurring Happy Hour(s)

So, after the Shirlington/Cap City Brewery Happy Hour last week (it was so great to meet so many of you!) I got to thinking it might be a cool idea to have recurring get-togethers at regular locations. That way people would know, "oh, it is the third Thursday, bike arlington will be at XYZ location tonight." I figure Thursday is a good night because it's later in the week but not Friday (which I gather would be unpopular). How about this schedule:

FirstThursday of the month: Chasin' Tails (I know, it sounds like a bad strip club) in Falls Church right off the W&OD
    Second Thursday: ???
    Third Thursday: Capitol City Brewing Co. in Shirlington next to W&OD/4MR and not too far from MVT
    Fourth Thursday: ???

The above is of course just a proposal. If it's popular enough, it could be that we have different locations for the other Thursdays of the month, for members who find neither of these locations convenient. For example, maybe a Happy Hour in Fairfax, and maybe one in Clarendon? Or maybe even DC, even though this is Bike Arlington. That way, people all over are more likely to have a meet-up convenient to them.

Of course, I'm totally biased toward these two locations because they are very convenient to me :-) But they also happen to be very convenient to the W&OD, with Cap City being also being somewhat close to MVT and DC.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'll mention about Shirlington is that the beer and appetizer specials we enjoyed that day weren't specially arranged by me, but are specials they always offer on Thursdays, so those would be available again. We just couldn't count on a big table together, because to do that they need to know how many people are coming. People probably could get tables for four as they arrive, though, and visit back and forth, or maybe tables could be pushed together.

I usually don't get back to Shirlington until later in the evening (6:30 to 7), but i can sometimes get there earlier, and there's no reason a regular happy hour couldn't be started there whenever the first person arrived.

Addition - if people want to let me know a couple of days ahead of time that they're coming, I'd be glad to try to get a larger table reserved. Should we try for third Thursdays in Shirlington?
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 07-23-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to vote Jay's Saloon for the Clarendon location. They don't mind sweaty folks in spandex, we can take over the front area, and plenty of places to hook up a bike or, heck, bring it right on the patio. And, it's supporting a local business with wonderful management (shout out to Jay and Kathy!)

Walking distance from Clarendon metro, and, for those that drive, there's a little parking lot and plenty of on street parking.

Map

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! This might be shaping up nicely

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    The above is of course just a proposal. If it's popular enough, it could be that we have different locations for the other Thursdays of the month, for members who find neither of these locations convenient. For example, maybe a Happy Hour in Fairfax, and maybe one in Clarendon? Or maybe even DC, even though this is Bike Arlington. That way, people all over are more likely to have a meet-up convenient to them.
    Actually, the forum is also affiliated with goDCgo (DDOT). Plus we let a few Marylanders in too.

Not sure if there are any regulars from West Virginia, Delaware or Pennsylvania. If there are, those are serious high-mileage riders!

Post Thanks / Like

It's WABA's forum as well, so it covers the whole Washington area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    It's WABA's forum as well, so it covers the whole Washington area.
    Oh! I didn't know (see how new I am??).

So, a DC option is definitely in order!

Post Thanks / Like

So with Megabeth's addition it would look like this:

FirstThursday of the month: Chasin' Tails (I know, it sounds like a bad strip club) in Falls Church right off the W&OD
    Second Thursday: Jay's Saloon in Clarendon close to the Clarendon Metro
    Third Thursday: Capitol City Brewing Co. in Shirlington next to W&OD/4MR and not too far from MVT
    Fourth Thursday: (Other suggestions or...give your liver a rest??)

So, for the fourth thursday, maybe a DC or Fairfax location?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun idea, though I doubt I could come any time soon. The only chance I'd have of coming is somewhere in Foggy Bottom, starting relatively early. Tonic isn't great, but the location is nice for either Memorial or TR bridges (and not bad for Key, 14th St or CCT). Somewhere larger would of course be better, but the only places that come to mind are dingy and don't have good food...

At one point there was talk of doing Tonic next Thursday, but I had forgotten about WaterTots. I can't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights has some bike parking (And is 7 blocks from my house . . .), good food, and some of the best beer in the city.