Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Around the Beltway Century?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    What Tim said. That's 12 miles to go one mile on the Beltway v about 19. And who wouldn't want to climb 41st St? Have you mapped out the fuel stations?
    I agree...the route I chose through Arlington was fairly arbitrary, as was the start point in Gtown...that's really the easiest part to figure out. It's the other 90 miles or so that will be tough. But I'll do some scouting and map out some rest stops and such...I'll try to have a more finalized map in a week or two and then see when people are available to do it. But I figured I'd gauge interest early and then work out the kinks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do it for sure. I'd love to see a fully fleshed out and tested cue sheet for the ride in any case. Thanks for taking this on!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not my thing right now, but I think it's an awesome idea. Imagine a day when we can get a rolling closure of the Beltway to actually ride on the highway...

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It's not my thing right now, but I think it's an awesome idea. Imagine a day when we can get a rolling closure of the Beltway to actually ride on the highway...
    Until they improve the Beltway's tree canopy, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, looking at the route just highlights how balkanized the bike infrastructure is in the big counties. In DC/Arlington, you may need to go a few blocks out of your way for a bike lane, but in Fairfax or PG, it can be miles. And most of the streets in those areas are only "bicycle friendly roads", which basically means they are kinda wide and maybe not so trafficky, but lack dedicated infrastructure. Kinda depressing.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

rolling closure of the Beltway
    I have spent enough hours on the beltway going speeds much less than bikes speed. Not exactly one my list of utopian bike routes.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

just highlights how balkanized the bike infrastructure is
    If you were so predisposed, this would be an excellent publicity stunt to highlight this exact fact... and highlight the fact that you cant get across the river, north of chain bridge, on anything but a car. Could be a great way to highlight the need for better infrastructure (and those parts of the city that get it right)

Tour de Beltway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    and highlight the fact that you cant get across the river, north of chain bridge, on anything but a car.
    Well, you can...but it involves a boat: http://app.strava.com/rides/13507408

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    If you were so predisposed, this would be an excellent publicity stunt to highlight this exact fact... and highlight the fact that you cant get across the river, north of chain bridge, on anything but a car. Could be a great way to highlight the need for better infrastructure (and those parts of the city that get it right)

Tour de Beltway
    I thought about doing it at rush hour and "racing" a car around the beltway, sorta like the cyclists in LA did during last year's carmageddon when the 405 was shut down...I think if the distances were equal, a bike could win, but since you have to tack on 40 miles to do it safely by bike, it wouldn't work very well.