Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: local bike shops -- how to choose

Post Thanks / Like

Alright... I got it. I was gravitating towards the Fuji Absolute 3.0, but at the end, I got the Diamondback Insight (Performance Exclusive). At the end of the day, I am still a newb when it comes to bikes, so I decided to start small and eventually build up to a more serious bike. Getting $600 bike would have been an overkill for my needs right now, even though I was sooo tempted (and had the budget). The guys at Performance Bicycle were exceptional, and I would not hesitate to recommend them (Vienna/Tyson's location) to anyone who is new to biking.

Thanks for all the support here on this forum! Now that I have a bike, I plan to visit this forum for more insight and suggestion on how best to explore the trails around Arlington. There are also more accessories and gear to get, but all this in its own time.

Can't wait to go out on the trails tomorrow when the rain stops. See you all there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmlwave View Post
    Alright... I got it. I was gravitating towards the Fuji Absolute 3.0, but at the end, I got the Diamondback Insight (Performance Exclusive).
    Pics or it didn't happen!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! You will now become obsessed with weather forecasts and radar, at least during the summer. Make sure you have a good lock and lots of water!

Get your hands on the various bike maps the counties put out.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice!

The Insight handles very well. At least compared to my old bike. This morning was drizzling a bit, but I still went out East on W&OD trail for few miles. However, this afternoon the weather was great and I was able to check out W&OD West of here. Looks like commuting to DC on this bike should be fairly easy! This week I will try to get biking gloves and few other accessories to make the commute easier/ more fun.

I noticed some noise from the bike (esp. at higher speeds), but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I will probably go back to the store for them to check out the alignment, etc. I am really glad that I got it from a local store vs. ordering it online and having to assemble it myself.

Here is a pic of the bike from this afternoon. Name:  2012-07-22 18.45.10.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  100.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Happy riding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Sorry for the confusion...I was just assuming the 3.0 was the more expensive of the two when I was looking at the specs. Fuji may need to work on it's naming scheme...
    Fuji call the top-end model in each line 1.0, and the numbers increase as the price-point goes down, sorta like "first place, second place, etc."

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a sweet ride. My first non-department store/yard sale bike was a Diamondback.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmlwave View Post
    The Insight handles very well. At least compared to my old bike. This morning was drizzling a bit, but I still went out East on W&OD trail for few miles. However, this afternoon the weather was great and I was able to check out W&OD West of here. Looks like commuting to DC on this bike should be fairly easy! This week I will try to get biking gloves and few other accessories to make the commute easier/ more fun.

I noticed some noise from the bike (esp. at higher speeds), but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I will probably go back to the store for them to check out the alignment, etc. I am really glad that I got it from a local store vs. ordering it online and having to assemble it myself.

Here is a pic of the bike from this afternoon. Name:  2012-07-22 18.45.10.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  100.3 KB
    That is a slick looking bike. Diamondback is definitely the Hyundai of the bike world - in the best way possible. They take a little bit from Specialized, a little from Trek, and mash it up into something people can afford. Happy Riding!

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of supporting thy LBS but Nashbar has two dang good deals right now on a generic steel 105 touring/commuter
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...12_-1___203588

and a generic Force (or Rival for less) road bike
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...90_-1___203588

You'd have a hard time buying that Force group (new) for that...
    Nashbar is Performance on the internet. I bought their generic 105 touring bike and am satisfied, although I would have wanted, and bought, better wheels. The pedals are crap as well. I also changed the 35 mm tires to 28s.

All that said, I would suggest used. Bikes are like cars and their resale value falls after taking them out of the lot.

And, of course, old steel is more real than new steel. But any steel is more real than Aluminum.