Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Portland mom of 6 moves them all by bike and doesn't even have a car

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome Portland mom of 6 moves them all by bike and doesn't even have a car

Post Thanks / Like

Yup- she rules:

"I have literally bungee-corded my 5-year-old to the back of the bike. He wouldn't get on. He was screaming and everyone was staring, so I stuck him on the seat and bungee-corded him in and just started pedaling really hard... He screamed all the way home." I so need to include bungee cords in my trailer kit... how long would it take in up-tight Arlington to get reported to CPS?

Anyone know what that bike-trailer wheel holder contraption is? I love the idea of being able to use an existing bike as a stoker and then take it off at a destination to let my little dude roam (when he's old enough TO roam...)
    Last edited by GuyContinental; 07-13-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Wow, rough to be a male in that family...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at cargo bikes for the past several weeks after reading that article. My wife is on board too. I just need to figure out a storage solution. No shed, or garage, just narrow stairs

Post Thanks / Like

Love the fact she swaps out kids on the trailer bike to keep them fresh.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article and mom; unfortunately most of the kiddie helmets are on their heads incorrectly.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=GuyContinental;25146]Yup- she rules:

"I have literally bungee-corded my 5-year-old to the back of the bike. He wouldn't get on. He was screaming and everyone was staring, so I stuck him on the seat and bungee-corded him in and just started pedaling really hard... He screamed all the way home." I so need to include bungee cords in my trailer kit... how long would it take in up-tight Arlington to get reported to CPS? [QUOTE]

Just call them the seat belts for rear seat passengers. Aren't they mandatory for vehicles?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome article. Thanks for sharing. The comments are odd though -- cycling being the Provence of the wealthy? It seems like Portland has better bike infrastructure in the most expensive areas, which is somewhat different than Arlington...

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    awesome article. Thanks for sharing. The comments are odd though -- cycling being the provence of the wealthy? It seems like portland has better bike infrastructure in the most expensive areas, which is somewhat different than arlington...
    never read the comments on anything.

Post Thanks / Like

That is very cool!

I like it how the Dutch word "bakfiets" seems to become part of American vocabulary.

Post Thanks / Like

just came across this article and loved reading it! it is very inspiring to read!

i used to pull my son in a trailer, but it was an occasional outing, and the furthest we ever went was about 6 miles from home.

we tried a tandem attachment twice, but he felt scared. he's older now (6 and a half) - i'd like to try the attachment she used to attach her daughter's bike behind hers.

does someone recognize what that is?

thanks!