Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Culpeper Cycling Century - Saturday October 6th

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Compact gearing is definitely nice on that loop.
    'cept I had 35mm tires and only a 25t large cog. I'll put a 27 on this time and run smaller tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with that course, it might be more cyclocross-worthy. The top of the second descent on the Gran Fondo was a little sucky on the road tires, but totally manageable. And I'd definitely not want to push bigger tires for the rest of the loop just to make that section a little faster.
    I used my "cross" bike for the Devil's Backbone last year, and was glad I did. 32mm cross tires and compact gearing. There were still sections I ended up walking up and the main descent is one lane gravel road, that can be done fast if you've got the confidence that you'll make the corners.

Compact gearing is definitely nice on that loop.
    For the Gran Fondo I used compact gearing and 28mm road tires. I spun out gearing-wise a little on the downhills, but it was really nice on the uphills

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I just put a brand new Gatorskin on my rear wheel for the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo. I only bought one tire though (they're expensive!) as I already have a spare Panaracer RibMo 25mm with low mileage on it from when I switched my hybrid over to 32s.

I'm wondering if it's really worth putting it on the front wheel though... is there any dirt climb around here that's comparable to what's on the GF? The RibMo is a nice commuter tire but I don't want to have to be putting out extra watts all day if I don't need to - interesting graphs here linked by Certifried:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...9861#post29861

I've only flatted my front tire once in ~6000 miles of riding, and I wonder if the 2mm will really make that much difference. My current tire is a Hutchison Fusion 3 (clincher, 700x23). Chances are I'll be slowing down on the dirt sections anyway, as I'm not the best bike handler.
    Last edited by vvill; 08-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to give a thumbs up for Culpeper. I was there over the summer for a triathlon and the roads are scenic, rolling, but not jaw dropping. The town is interesting and there are good places to eat. It would be a lovely weekend of biking fun.

ann