Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLU ZOOM - drunk driver on CCT

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLU ZOOM - drunk driver on CCT

This could easily have been a tragic situation. I presume he drove from Georgetown to the trail closure before backing into a ditch when attempting to turn around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120703_184721.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1306

Name:	IMG_20120703_184938.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	1307

Name:	IMG_20120703_184647.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1308

Post Thanks / Like

whoah! Did someone call 911?

Post Thanks / Like

Park Police showed up and arrested him.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. My. God. This moron drove on at water street, up the path, over the canal bridge that says NO MOTOR VEHICLES, over the aqueduct bridge, AND THROUGH THE DAMN TUNNEL!!!

This why we need to not complain about bollards.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    Oh. My. God. This moron drove on at water street, up the path, over the canal bridge that says NO MOTOR VEHICLES, over the aqueduct bridge, AND THROUGH THE DAMN TUNNEL!!!

1) how often does this happen vs how often people are hurt by bollards?
    2) was anyone hurt?
    3) perhaps a single bollard at the trail head would be warranted, but that does not imply the necessity for a bollard at each end of every bridge, at trail intersections, at corners, and at any point where the surface is paved
    4) in this case, the bollard was behind the wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, some people.

When did this happen? I was on the CCT from Fletcher's down to Water Street about noon yesterday and there were NPS trucks on the towpath and on the CCT clearing branches. There was also a tree blockage near the Georgetown tunnel, which even this idiot's cute little Miata wouldn't have fit through. That probably took an hour or two to clear.

Either way, I think we're all lucky he owns a cute little Miata because if it was much heavier the bridge over the water treatment plant might not have held up and that would have been bad for everyone.

It's probably a good thing it was really hot yesterday because otherwise the trail would have been pretty busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Wow, some people.

When did this happen? I was on the CCT from Fletcher's down to Water Street about noon yesterday and there were NPS trucks on the towpath and on the CCT clearing branches. There was also a tree blockage near the Georgetown tunnel, which even this idiot's cute little Miata wouldn't have fit through. That probably took an hour or two to clear.

Either way, I think we're all lucky he owns a cute little Miata because if it was much heavier the bridge over the water treatment plant might not have held up and that would have been bad for everyone.

It's probably a good thing it was really hot yesterday because otherwise the trail would have been pretty busy.
    He scared the living [redacted] out of me coming the opposite direction in the Dalecarlia Tunnel around 6:15ish. Cops arrived and made an apparent arrest at around 7:15ish. The trail was plenty packed at that time. It's a minor miracle no one was hurt or worse by this extremely distasteful human being.
    I'm not sure about damage to the water treatment bridge, but it looked pretty clear that a car had driven over it when I biked over it later.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post

If drivers can be this oblivious, doesn't it make one wonder the wisdom of sharing the the roads with them? Scary.

Post Thanks / Like

So where exactly was the trail closure? He drove from Georgetown, all the way up past the water treatment plant, through the tunnel, and how far?

Post Thanks / Like

I can only hope that this is something that has never happened before but we all know that's sadly not the case.

If you look at the windshield you can see he has DoD clearance. Looks like an eagle symbol on the left side I'd assume officer of some degree, but I cannot find a definition of the logo online (lol, go figure now I've made some sort of list)

Hopefully you were able to make it around the power crew behind this fool without much trouble.