Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Boulevard Trail under attack.

Reviving this old thread. Tonight the new easement from the Navy was in front of the County Board for approval. The opposition turned out in force. The board ultimately approved it, but sounded uncertain on whether they would be willing to approve the construction contract when it comes forward in a couple of months. If the cycling community wants this trail, we'll need to turn out to that board meeting and speak up for this connection.

A couple of emails to countyboard@arlingtonva.us to the effect of "I heard you approved the easement for the Washington Blvd Trail the other night. Thanks! This is an important connection between the R-B corridor and the Pentagon City area and I hope it gets built soon." would probably go a long way right now.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    You rock! Thank you!

The notion that we shouldn't create a bike trail because of environmental concerns is.....well........(deep breaths).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The notion that we shouldn't create a bike trail because of environmental concerns is.....well........(deep breaths).
    All the more reason to be *visible and audible* at the Board meeting when the construction contract comes up. Let us all know when, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    All the more reason to be *visible and audible* at the Board meeting when the construction contract comes up. Let us all know when, please...
    Completely agree. And also before the meetings, as I think their mind is made up fairly often before the meeting. Anyways, I sent my email. Thanks for staying on top of this, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    This is one of those times when two environmental concerns come into conflict. It happens sometimes. I'm sure the other side is saying something like "The notion that we should cut down trees to build a bike trail to help the environment is...well...."

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    This is one of those times when two environmental concerns come into conflict. It happens sometimes. I'm sure the other side is saying something like "The notion that we should cut down trees to build a bike trail to help the environment is...well...."
    Loss of mature trees is a real issue, and not something that's quickly or easily fixed. That said, the real fix is to take the space out of the car lanes, but we can't have that.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Maybe, except: (1) most of the trees in question are invasive and not the kind of mature trees that really need preserving in this area; and (2) the bike trail is about much, much more than environmentalism. ACE seems to be awful close to saying "these trees are more important than cyclists' lives" which is ridiculous.