Thread: Washington Boulevard Trail under attack.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Washington Boulevard Trail under attack.

There has been some serious push-back on phase 2 of the Washington Blvd Trail from the Penrose Neighborhood Assocation and the Urban Forestry Commission due to number of trees impacted by trail construction. While I doubt anybody here would put themselves down as in favor of chopping down trees, I personally feel that the trail benefits would be worth the cost. I've put up a blog post on the subject if you'd care to peruse; please consider signing the petition at the bottom.

Thanks for your time,
    Chris

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this. I've signed the petition. If they want to save trees (which I'm all for), let's grass over a lane of Washington Blvd.

Post Thanks / Like

I urge everybody to read Chris's blog post on this as it demonstrates decisions get made in the favor of those who show up. While I am not advocating hijacking a decision process, I don't think most citizens understand the need for safe cycling routes and the benefits that accrue to the motorists by taking cars off the road.

If you are an Arlington resident, please consider signing the petition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    If you are an Arlington resident, please consider signing the petition.
    done and shared.

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

The Project Manager will be giving a presentation on the trail to the Penrose Neighborhood Association at their July meeting if anyone would like to attend and offer up a bicycle perspective in-person.

Tuesday July 17, 7:30pm
    Trinity Episcopal Church (Wayne St basement entrance)
    2217 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA 22204

Post Thanks / Like

FYI--the County has put up website on this here: http://www.arlingtonva.us/department...page86861.aspx

There have also been a couple blog posts from the cycling community on this topic:

http://ballston.patch.com/articles/b...oulevard-trail

http://www.commuterpageblog.com/2012...ke-hugger.html

http://www.alongthepike.com/archive/...-benefits.aspx

Hearing from the public (even those on this forum who may not be Arlington residents) is the best way to ensure that this trail gets built. Check out the County page an leave your feedback on the "Give Us Your Feedback" link!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    FYI--the County has put up website on this here: http://www.arlingtonva.us/department...page86861.aspx

Hearing from the public (even those on this forum who may not be Arlington residents) is the best way to ensure that this trail gets built. Check out the County page an leave your feedback on the "Give Us Your Feedback" link!
    Left a comment on the feedback page. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Got this surprise response today from the comments I left on the feedback page referenced above in Tim's msg:

Thank you for your support of the Washington Blvd. Trail project. We are currently working through some design modifications with the hope of reducing the expected tree impacts from construction. It is our plan to replant all the areas where trees are expected to be removed. As you identified the new trail will provide a very valuable connection between areas in the south of the County such as Pentagon City and Columbia Pike and the center and northern parts of Arlington. You may have noticed construction currently taking place on S. Joyce Street under I-395, that will also provide new trail connections that should benefit you in your biking to Clarendon.

Again thanks for providing your thoughts and words of support.

Ritch Viola
    Planning Section Supervisor
    DES Transportation Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Comments submitted via feedback page. Thanks for the heads up. I hope lots of people write in and/or sign the petition.

PotomacCyclist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article today about how many trees have been or will be cut down for various road expansion projects.

http://www.wtop.com/654/2984728/I-95...nmental-impact

Crews are removing 100 acres of trees and shrubs for the I-95 Express Lanes Project. For the InterCounty Connector, crews cleared 750 acres of trees and shrubs!