Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike and Food Nutrition

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    I've already had my metabolism slow down once when I was in my mid-twenties. Turns out it wasn't my metabolism, it was the fact that I was over eating and not getting enough exercise. Once I started exercising and eating more healthily "my metabolism sped up."
    Yes, but try having a kid and turning 30. To keep a speedy metabolism, you have to get a lot more exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Yes, but try having a kid and turning 30. To keep a speedy metabolism, you have to get a lot more exercise.
    Technically *I* wasn't the one who had the kid, but I did personally turn 30 all by myself.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Technically *I* wasn't the one who had the kid
    Trust me, it makes a difference. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about priorities and balance. Remember that thread Dirt started a week or two ago?

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of nutrition, I pulled out my go-bag from a cabinet at work today and found a granola bar. Checked the expiration date: March 2006. I was hungry, but not that hungry.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been making variants of the Feed Zone Cookbook bars as snacks, and just upgraded to an extra banana and fruit for the hot weather. This is in addition to the four meals, two snacks and normal grazing I do. My weight dropped 12 lbs recently and I freaked out a bit. Turns out three meals a day wasn't enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I've already had my metabolism slow down once when I was in my mid-twenties. Turns out it wasn't my metabolism, it was the fact that I was over eating and not getting enough exercise. Once I started exercising and eating more healthily "my metabolism sped up."
    I agree with this. My metabolism is higher now than 5 years ago since I started biking to work. My weight is less but I need to learn eating healthy. I don't like the healthy food because it doesn't taste good.

My friend said his sixty is healthier than his fifty or forty. Since his kids already had their own family, his wife doesn't need him anymore and kick him out of the house. So, he goes biking all day long.
    Last edited by RESTONTODC; 06-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone here know of a trainer or a nutritionist/dietitian that works with heavier cyclists? I've been stuck at around 400lbs for the past six months despite keeping a relatively stable caloric intake (~3,000) and cycling an average of 40 miles a week in addition to weight training. Granted, I did lose a significant amount of weight (60lbs) in the six months prior, but I need to make some changes to get this extra weight off of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4st7lbs View Post
    Does anyone here know of a trainer or a nutritionist/dietitian that works with heavier cyclists? I've been stuck at around 400lbs for the past six months despite keeping a relatively stable caloric intake (~3,000) and cycling an average of 40 miles a week in addition to weight training. Granted, I did lose a significant amount of weight (60lbs) in the six months prior, but I need to make some changes to get this extra weight off of me.
    Interesting question. I'll ask around and let you know if I get any recommendations.

My take on weight loss is that in most cases it is simple math of "calories in" vs. "calories out."

I'm sure you've heard all this before, but if you've hit a plateau you need to either increase your exercise or decrease your calorie intake. 40 miles a week is a great start, but you can definitely work up to longer distances! How did you arrive at the 3,000 calorie intake number, and are you certain you're accurate with that number?

Post Thanks / Like

My take on weight loss is that in most cases it is simple math of "calories in" vs. "calories out."
    Tis true, which is why I'm so frustrated.

40 miles a week is a great start, but you can definitely work up to longer distances!
    No doubt, my goal is 100 miles a week but work (read: travel) and injuries keep getting in the way. Up until the weather got too much for me to handle I was doing 70 miles a week commuting to work. Starting next week I'm going to try and do at least 10 miles every day, should be able to make the 100 miles/week mark by the end of September barring injuries.

How did you arrive at the 3,000 calorie intake number, and are you certain you're accurate with that number?
    I modified the meal plan that I developed with the dietitian I worked with when I was over 450lbs and just reduced the total calories from 3,700 to 3,000 (which is also in line with LoseIt!). The problem is that even at 3,000 calories I'm pretty hungry throughout the day, especially if I bike to work (and have a banana once I cool down) or did a 25 mile ride the night before (with a banana and two stinger waffles consumed during my break). With weightlifting I don't experience this as much (I have a Muscle Milk shake right after I lift) but that's shorter periods of extreme exertion vs. the continuous medium impact of spinning with cycling.

I think one of the biggest issues right now is that unless I'm cycling or lifting out I don't drink enough water during the day (~2.5L). When I do long rides I tend to drink 4-5L the day before and 6-7L the day of and drink 5-6L throughout the day and at the gym when I lift weight. If I can just get into a rhythm of drinking 6L each day, regardless of physical activity, I have a feeling the weight would start coming off. Still, I'm interested in an feedback or suggestions you all have.