Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's in your pouch?

Fun!

In the saddle bag or water bottle (great alternative to a saddle bag I've started using), for road riding I carry just a tube, patch kit, Soma steel-core tire lever, multi-tool, and chain tool. Pump usually gets shoved inside the back of the shorts or in a jersey pocket. For mountain biking, I'd add a spare derailleur hanger.

In the commuter bag I have added thin gloves for changing flats in cold weather, CO2 canister + tool, alcohol wipes, and gauze. Learned to carry gauze the hard way when I wouldn't stop bleeding all over my work clothes once when I got to work. Oh, and a 15-mm wrench for removing the wheel of the single speed for those times I still use it.

Need to add duct tape. Carry it in my kayaks and have not keep forgetting to move that over to biking.

Commuter Bike. All in my purple Po Campo bag, usually within a bike-themed zipper pouch my friend made me to keep things organized:
    • Spare tube
    • Patch kit
    • C02 cartridge (1x half used, one new one)
    • 2x tire levers
    • latex gloves
    • advil
    • Alien II bike tool
    • wrench to get my wheels off when I ride the flat bar commuter, I remove this when I ride the road bike commuter
    • spare hand/toe warmers during the winter

Weekend Road Bike (saddle bag & front handlebar bag added on long rides)
    • Spare tube
    • Patch kit
    • C02 cartridge
    • 2x tire levers
    • latex gloves
    • advil
    • Alien II bike tool
    • 2x tampons
    • House/car keys
    • Couple brightly colored zip ties
    • quick link
    • A little bit of cash, & my credit cards, ID and metro card

Jersey pockets:
    • sunscreen
    • absurd number of cereal bars and bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Jersey pockets:
    • sunscreen
    • absurd number of cereal bars and bananas
    I thought bananas go in your bib shorts pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My saddle bag has in it (I think)

• 2 tire levers
    • tube
    • patch kit (patches, glue and a couple glueless patches in case the glue has dried out)
    • multi tool/chain tool
    • spoke wrench (although I think I noticed that my multi tool has this built in, so I might have removed it for redundancy reasons)
    • latex gloves
    • first aid items: bandaids and mini-wipes I think (I haven't checked this for a while, but I know something is in there)
    • zip ties

I like the Advil idea; will likely add to the first aid items.

Re: zip ties - Emm and I were riding last Saturday, and we salvaged someone's ride with her zip tie. The rider's rear basket rack mount had broken. It took a couple minutes and a committee of all three of us, but we eventually determined that the zip tie was just long enough to secure the basket so the rider could go on her way.

I actually don't carry anything at all on my vintage 3-speed toodler bike. I'm usually just in the neighborhood when I ride it, so in a worst case I could walk it home I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    I thought bananas go in your bib shorts pocket.
    Is that a banana in your pocket, or...ah, nevermind.

What pump? If I may ask?

Yes, I heard somewhere about duct tape (maybe from camping/hiking) - and instead of carrying a whole roll, use a stick/pencil etc. and wrap some around it for use for whatever.

Also per Erin & Steve's posts below - Zip ties - great idea!

Let's see, I generally have (or at least think I have) in a pannier:
    • Spare tube (or two) for my bike, plus one for the trailercycle.
    • Small multi-tool set
    • First aid kit (mostly so I have disinfectant/wipes/bandaids for the occasional "daughter was swinging on the bike racks while I was locking up and took a fall" need)
    • Pump (Lezyne Gauge Drive HP, I believe)
    • After last year's Purple Line ride with Bobco, I got a small Schrader/Presta adapter to be able to use the random gas station/rec center air pumps out there.
    • Patch kit or two (from random giveaways)
    • Combination tire lever/15mm wrench (3wrencho from PDW) plus a few spare tire levers
    • Rain poncho/jacket of some sort
    • Spare socks
    • Chain (connects to the frame lock - for locking the bike up to an object as opposed to making someone carry it away)
    • A few zip ties (which reminds me, I need to toss more in)

This time of year, I tend to also have spare/different weight gloves or a hat, in case I chose poorly when I set off.

Look for a pump that would fit inside a water bottle, and 120+ PSI.

Also, don't buy a multi-tool without a chain tool, since you need the latter sooner or later. Here are some options with decent reviews/quality: $19, $13.

Kleenex or gloves is probably the most forgotten item when packing flat repair stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Let's see, I generally have (or at least think I have) in a pannier:
    • Spare tube (or two) for my bike, plus one for the trailercycle.
    • Small multi-tool set
    • First aid kit (mostly so I have disinfectant/wipes/bandaids for the occasional "daughter was swinging on the bike racks while I was locking up and took a fall" need)
    • Pump (Lezyne Gauge Drive HP, I believe)
    • After last year's Purple Line ride with Bobco, I got a small Schrader/Presta adapter to be able to use the random gas station/rec center air pumps out there.
    • Patch kit or two (from random giveaways)
    • Combination tire lever/15mm wrench (3wrencho from PDW) plus a few spare tire levers
    • Rain poncho/jacket of some sort
    • Spare socks
    • Chain (connects to the frame lock - for locking the bike up to an object as opposed to making someone carry it away)
    • A few zip ties (which reminds me, I need to toss more in)

This time of year, I tend to also have spare/different weight gloves or a hat, in case I chose poorly when I set off.
    Oh - and completely forgot about the newest addition to the pannier until I got out to use it this afternoon: I also carry with me a small broom and dustpan.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Look for a pump that would fit inside a water bottle, and 120+ PSI.
    That's a lot of pressure in 2018! Are you running 18mm tubulars!? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Also, don't buy a multi-tool without a chain tool, since you need the latter sooner or later. Here are some options with decent reviews/quality: $19, $13.
    The genuine article (Crank Bros) only costs $5 more. I'd suggest it's likely worth it in this case, my knockoff pump experience notwithstanding.

https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brother...her%2Bm19&th=1