Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: What's in your pouch?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Fun!

    In the saddle bag or water bottle (great alternative to a saddle bag I've started using), for road riding I carry just a tube, patch kit, Soma steel-core tire lever, multi-tool, and chain tool. Pump usually gets shoved inside the back of the shorts or in a jersey pocket. For mountain biking, I'd add a spare derailleur hanger.

    In the commuter bag I have added thin gloves for changing flats in cold weather, CO2 canister + tool, alcohol wipes, and gauze. Learned to carry gauze the hard way when I wouldn't stop bleeding all over my work clothes once when I got to work. Oh, and a 15-mm wrench for removing the wheel of the single speed for those times I still use it.

    Need to add duct tape. Carry it in my kayaks and have not keep forgetting to move that over to biking.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shirlington area
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Commuter Bike. All in my purple Po Campo bag, usually within a bike-themed zipper pouch my friend made me to keep things organized:
    • Spare tube
    • Patch kit
    • C02 cartridge (1x half used, one new one)
    • 2x tire levers
    • latex gloves
    • advil
    • Alien II bike tool
    • wrench to get my wheels off when I ride the flat bar commuter, I remove this when I ride the road bike commuter
    • spare hand/toe warmers during the winter



    Weekend Road Bike (saddle bag & front handlebar bag added on long rides)
    • Spare tube
    • Patch kit
    • C02 cartridge
    • 2x tire levers
    • latex gloves
    • advil
    • Alien II bike tool
    • 2x tampons
    • House/car keys
    • Couple brightly colored zip ties
    • quick link
    • A little bit of cash, & my credit cards, ID and metro card


    Jersey pockets:
    • sunscreen
    • absurd number of cereal bars and bananas

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    mclean
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Jersey pockets:
    • sunscreen
    • absurd number of cereal bars and bananas
    I thought bananas go in your bib shorts pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,100

    Default

    My saddle bag has in it (I think)

    • 2 tire levers
    • tube
    • patch kit (patches, glue and a couple glueless patches in case the glue has dried out)
    • multi tool/chain tool
    • spoke wrench (although I think I noticed that my multi tool has this built in, so I might have removed it for redundancy reasons)
    • latex gloves
    • first aid items: bandaids and mini-wipes I think (I haven't checked this for a while, but I know something is in there)
    • zip ties


    I like the Advil idea; will likely add to the first aid items.

    Re: zip ties - Emm and I were riding last Saturday, and we salvaged someone's ride with her zip tie. The rider's rear basket rack mount had broken. It took a couple minutes and a committee of all three of us, but we eventually determined that the zip tie was just long enough to secure the basket so the rider could go on her way.

    I actually don't carry anything at all on my vintage 3-speed toodler bike. I'm usually just in the neighborhood when I ride it, so in a worst case I could walk it home I guess.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    I thought bananas go in your bib shorts pocket.
    Is that a banana in your pocket, or...ah, nevermind.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    596

    Default

    What pump? If I may ask?

    Yes, I heard somewhere about duct tape (maybe from camping/hiking) - and instead of carrying a whole roll, use a stick/pencil etc. and wrap some around it for use for whatever.

    Also per Erin & Steve's posts below - Zip ties - great idea!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Let's see, I generally have (or at least think I have) in a pannier:
    • Spare tube (or two) for my bike, plus one for the trailercycle.
    • Small multi-tool set
    • First aid kit (mostly so I have disinfectant/wipes/bandaids for the occasional "daughter was swinging on the bike racks while I was locking up and took a fall" need)
    • Pump (Lezyne Gauge Drive HP, I believe)
    • After last year's Purple Line ride with Bobco, I got a small Schrader/Presta adapter to be able to use the random gas station/rec center air pumps out there.
    • Patch kit or two (from random giveaways)
    • Combination tire lever/15mm wrench (3wrencho from PDW) plus a few spare tire levers
    • Rain poncho/jacket of some sort
    • Spare socks
    • Chain (connects to the frame lock - for locking the bike up to an object as opposed to making someone carry it away)
    • A few zip ties (which reminds me, I need to toss more in)


    This time of year, I tend to also have spare/different weight gloves or a hat, in case I chose poorly when I set off.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Look for a pump that would fit inside a water bottle, and 120+ PSI.

    Also, don't buy a multi-tool without a chain tool, since you need the latter sooner or later. Here are some options with decent reviews/quality: $19, $13.

    Kleenex or gloves is probably the most forgotten item when packing flat repair stuff.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Let's see, I generally have (or at least think I have) in a pannier:
    • Spare tube (or two) for my bike, plus one for the trailercycle.
    • Small multi-tool set
    • First aid kit (mostly so I have disinfectant/wipes/bandaids for the occasional "daughter was swinging on the bike racks while I was locking up and took a fall" need)
    • Pump (Lezyne Gauge Drive HP, I believe)
    • After last year's Purple Line ride with Bobco, I got a small Schrader/Presta adapter to be able to use the random gas station/rec center air pumps out there.
    • Patch kit or two (from random giveaways)
    • Combination tire lever/15mm wrench (3wrencho from PDW) plus a few spare tire levers
    • Rain poncho/jacket of some sort
    • Spare socks
    • Chain (connects to the frame lock - for locking the bike up to an object as opposed to making someone carry it away)
    • A few zip ties (which reminds me, I need to toss more in)


    This time of year, I tend to also have spare/different weight gloves or a hat, in case I chose poorly when I set off.
    Oh - and completely forgot about the newest addition to the pannier until I got out to use it this afternoon: I also carry with me a small broom and dustpan.

  10. #40
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Look for a pump that would fit inside a water bottle, and 120+ PSI.
    That's a lot of pressure in 2018! Are you running 18mm tubulars!? :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Also, don't buy a multi-tool without a chain tool, since you need the latter sooner or later. Here are some options with decent reviews/quality: $19, $13.
    The genuine article (Crank Bros) only costs $5 more. I'd suggest it's likely worth it in this case, my knockoff pump experience notwithstanding.

    https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brother...her%2Bm19&th=1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •