Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's in your pouch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    What pump? If I may ask?

Yes, I heard somewhere about duct tape (maybe from camping/hiking) - and instead of carrying a whole roll, use a stick/pencil etc. and wrap some around it for use for whatever.

Also per Erin & Steve's posts below - Zip ties - great idea!
    Mine is a Crank Bros Sterling LG. Has a nice gauge on it that goes to 100 psi, and is the only mini pump I've had where I can attain road-bike-tire pressures.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I just checked out that multi-tool. That's amazing!!
    and a Torx driver for disc brakes!!
    HA. I have disc brakes. I can ...ummm... sorta adjust them. but someday maybe I'll know what that's for (adjusting calipers? just using a word I know is part of the disc brake system!! )
    Chain tool included is cool. thanks!!

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

HA. I have disc brakes. I can ...ummm... sorta adjust them. but someday maybe I'll know what that's for (adjusting calipers? just using a word I know is part of the disc brake system!! )
    Yeah, I have never heard of anyone needing to adjust their rotor bolts, which is the classic application of the T25 torx. So I used to think that was a waste of space on a tool, but some bikes/groups also use the T25 for the bolts (esp. titanium bolts) that hold that caliper to the fork/frame. I could see needing to adjust those (e.g. caliper was rubbing rotor).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    That's a lot of pressure in 2018! Are you running 18mm tubulars!? :-)

The genuine article (Crank Bros) only costs $5 more. I'd suggest it's likely worth it in this case, my knockoff pump experience notwithstanding.

https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brother...her%2Bm19&th=1
    +1 on the crank brothers tool.

For a pump I like the topeak morph series. I want a gauge because I suck at guessing the pressure, I want a hose because I've managed to rip the valve off a tire with an old school stick pump (that's a hard thing to patch), and I want something that I push against the ground because that's a much more practical way to generate pressure than doing butterfly curls. I don't really care how big it is since it goes in a bag. (Full disclosure: I do also have a co2 filler for times when I don't have a big bag.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    +1 on the crank brothers tool.
    So I was just in the market for a new multi-tool after somehow losing half of mine (...it got lost in a box somewhere when I moved a few months ago). I ended up with the Alien II tool even though the crank bros one was cheaper, lighter, smaller, and came in pink. The crank bros tool lacked a knife, which oddly enough is a tool I've actually used alot of in my multi-tool. From cutting zip ties or their ends, de-tangling random crap that's gotten caught in parts of my bike, and other random stuff that's occurred while I'm out for a ride, it's been a useful thing to have. I'm sure I could just pack a tiny pocket knife too and save on weight and bulk, but then that's just one more thing for me to forget.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    So I was just in the market for a new multi-tool after somehow losing half of mine (...it got lost in a box somewhere when I moved a few months ago). I ended up with the Alien II tool even though the crank bros one was cheaper, lighter, smaller, and came in pink. The crank bros tool lacked a knife, which oddly enough is a tool I've actually used alot of in my multi-tool. From cutting zip ties or their ends, de-tangling random crap that's gotten caught in parts of my bike, and other random stuff that's occurred while I'm out for a ride, it's been a useful thing to have. I'm sure I could just pack a tiny pocket knife too and save on weight and bulk, but then that's just one more thing for me to forget.
    I usually have a mini multitool with blade and pliers with me, whether on a bike or not.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, re: knife. I have considered getting one of these for keeping in the saddle bag: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PW56QG
    (I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I was given one of these and it has lasted for years without dulling)

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Next time you do a bike fix-it night, have someone show you the process to adjust your disk brakes. You probably have two adjusters for the inside & outside calipers (my brakes are Avid BB7s, YMMV). In general, the trick is to get them as close as possible to the disk, so the brakes have some grab, without rubbing (cuz that sucks). You may also have a barrel adjuster on the cable near the brake lever, to tweak the tension.

I have the Crank Bros multitool with a Torx driver etc. My problem is the drivers are really short, and it's too dang awkward to get the thing inside the spokes to adjust the inside caliper. I got a Torx wrench with a long driver that I use at home for bike tuning. And if I have to adjust on the road, I just fumble around attempting to spin the adjusters with my thumbs.

This thread has been awesome as I'm prepping for a 2-week bike trip, hoping to upgrade a few of my tools in the kit!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to replace the pads on my mechanical disc brakes. Iíll provide the instruction if you want to do the wrenching on my bike. Itís fairly easy. I learned how to change pads and adjust the pads as they wear by watching a few videos on YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I need to replace the pads on my mechanical disc brakes. Iíll provide the instruction if you want to do the wrenching on my bike. Itís fairly easy. I learned how to change pads and adjust the pads as they wear by watching a few videos on YouTube.
    Yes. I'd love to. We will schedule offline!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk