Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's in your pouch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's in your pouch?

I have a friend that carries more "personal items" (e.g., chapstick, sunscreen, little mirror, etc.) than actual bike equipment in her little underseat seat pouch. I nearly lost an eyeball from rolling them so hard after seeing that. I advised that she might want to consider a spare tube, at the very least...which brings me to this question:

What do you carry at all times with you in your seat pouch (or backpack or pannier)? What do you recommend someone have at all times...and what's "nice to have"?

As a side story, we had a friend have her seat pouch stolen in Clarendon (ironically we were mere steps away eating lunch). She shrugged and basically said that the only things in there that would be useful would be for a cyclist...and a cyclist wouldn't do steal another cyclist's pouch in the first place. So, the thief was the one that ended up getting screwed in that deal...

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno- I keep $50 cash in mine (in case of emergency cab or round of drinks) but then again I never leave that bike unattended.

Other necessities?
    Toolkit with chain tool
    Quicklink
    Tube
    Inflator of some kind
    Patch kit
    Tire lever (1)
    Ziplock (for phone in the rain)
    ICE (in case of emergency) Card with blood type and contact info

That's in a tiny, very carefully packed, saddle bag

Post Thanks / Like

I generally get the smallest pouch that I can find, which will fit my must haves:
    - tube
    - patch kit
    - multi tool
    - tire lever
    - CO2 inflator and cartridge
    - Couple dollars

I also generally carry a pump in my bag or jersey. My phone is fast becoming a must have. I feel weird if I don't have it with me now. And while it's not in my seat bag, I wear a Road I.D. and think you need to have some kind of identification on you at all times.

And at this time of year - a water bottle!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Extra tube, patch kit, multi-tool with tire lever, and lube. Pump goes in my regular bag. I haven't needed them for myself since I've started carrying them, but used them trying to rescue a folding bike during Tour de Fat. Small sunscreen sounds like a good idea, though.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely nothing.

In the pocket of my khakis:
    Cell phone
    Wallet
    Smartrip card

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and chain tool and quick link too.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my bikes have a spare tube, levers, CO2 pump w/2 cartridges, a mini-tool, and a valve adapter in a wedgie bag. When riding my commuter to work or around town, I almost always carry my pannier, which always carries a mini-pump, 10mm wrench (fits my skewers and fender bolts), Leatherman tool, extra batteries, zip ties, bungee straps, and yet another spare tube.

Post Thanks / Like

All the above plus bandages (small and big), Antiseptic wipes and medical tapes.

There is no need to call 911 when you get a road rash.

Post Thanks / Like

Spare tube, patch kit, small multitool. I have a mini-morph pump attached to the bike. On long road rides, I also stuff my drivers license, credit card, house key and phone in there (since I have a strange aversion to jerseys with pockets).

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have carried a first aid kit, but I am not sure what to put in it. Gauze, antiseptic, and tape makes sense.

One thing - I downloaded a red cross first aid app to my itouch. You can also download a bike repair app but I am not sure how good they are.

One thing not mentioned is a "boot" I believe it is called. This is basically a tire (not a tube) patch - say in case of a puncture. Doesnt weigh much.

+1 for a plastic bag. Doesnt weigh anything; and can save electronics if you get caught in a thunder boomer.

I also recommend a camera. A camera built into a phone is just fine. If you get into an accident, take lots of pictures. If you claim you rode a century out the W&OD, take lots of pictures - we demand proof (and wanna see the fun)!