Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Opinions on Bike Mirrors?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papalena View Post
    Sometimes if I'm walking down the street I find myself glancing up and left to where my mirror should be.
    If I only had a dime for every time I did this.... Haha, it's such a let down to not be able to see behind you just by looking up and left a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it too hard to use a mirror mounted on a regular bike, but they're very useful on my recumbents because they are more in my line of sight. I have a Take-A-Look mirror on my helmet and it's massively useful on either type of bike, especially as I stiffen up with age. Also, the Take-A-Look is almost indestructible. I knocked it off once while riding and it was run over by two cars. I bent it back into shape and it was good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Any new thoughts? I mounted a bar end mirror on the beater MTB, and I always found it frustrating - hard to see in without looking too far down, got mis aimed whenever I shifted or braked (when aimed correctly it was too close to my left hand) etc. I haven't removed it from the MTB but I do not want to put one on the Dew. So thinking probably a helmet mirror (standard Bell helmet) though I wear glasses.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about mirrors this morning as I commuted with ski goggles, which kill my peripheral vision. Any suggestions for mirrors that work with those?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Any new thoughts? I mounted a bar end mirror on the beater MTB, and I always found it frustrating - hard to see in without looking too far down, got mis aimed whenever I shifted or braked (when aimed correctly it was too close to my left hand) etc. I haven't removed it from the MTB but I do not want to put one on the Dew. So thinking probably a helmet mirror (standard Bell helmet) though I wear glasses.
    I give very high praise for the Take a Look mirror. Love mine to death. I put mine on my regular eyeglasses, which are what I wear for riding. It can also be put onto the visor of a helmet if you'd prefer, or to the helmet directly with an optional helmet adapter.

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife has a helmet mirror and dislikes how the setting sun reflects into her eyes when riding east at sunset. I ride drop bars and use Zefal Spy mirrors mounted inboard -- still pretty useful, no trouble leaning against walls, and higher stealth/lower Fred factors.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    I give very high praise for the Take a Look mirror. Love mine to death. I put mine on my regular eyeglasses, which are what I wear for riding. It can also be put onto the visor of a helmet if you'd prefer, or to the helmet directly with an optional helmet adapter.
    +1 I've had a Take a Look mirror for more than a decade (actually 2; I lost one) and have given them as gifts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    +1 I've had a Take a Look mirror for more than a decade (actually 2; I lost one) and have given them as gifts.
    And once you've gotten used to wearing it on the bike, you'll start expecting to be able to quickly glance up and to the left to see what is behind you, like walking down the street, or in the hall at work. Sadly, it's not always there, well, unless you forget to take it off once you get off the bike.

10. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adjusting the Take-a-Look

Based on some of the comments in this thread, I purchased the Take-a-Look mirror to mount on my visor. Any suggestions on where to place it and how to adjust it to get a decent field of view? I've tried moving it forward and backward on the left side of my helmet visor, angled it up and down and from left to right. But I found that it's very sensitive to micro-adjustments, and I have a hard time being able to see what's behind me and to my left--such as car traffic running next to a bike lane. When I angle the mirror down a little, I just see a bunch of my left shoulder. Angle it up slightly, and I'm looking at the sky behind me. I ride a touring bike with drop bars with the saddle slightly higher than the handlebars. Any tips on how to use and adjust the mirror would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Because the mirror is so close to your eye a small adjustment to the angle will mean a large change in your field of view. Adjusting the mirror at home in a hallway with a tiny bit of your ear in the field of view is a good place to start. Of course you have to bend to approximately the same angle you would in your normal riding position. It takes me several hours of adjustment to get used to it. If you only try for one or two hours of riding your not giving it a fair chance. Again, for me, it takes 6-8 hours on the bike to train my eyeball where the image is supposed to appear.

I love helmet or glasses mounted mirrors but don't normally use them because I use clear glasses in the morning and sunglasses in the evening. With a helmet mounted mirror you have to be very careful when handling your helmet. I use a handlebar mounted mirror on my commuting bikes and find myself constantly looking at my left hand on non mirror equipped bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    Based on some of the comments in this thread, I purchased the Take-a-Look mirror to mount on my visor. Any suggestions on where to place it and how to adjust it to get a decent field of view? I've tried moving it forward and backward on the left side of my helmet visor, angled it up and down and from left to right. But I found that it's very sensitive to micro-adjustments, and I have a hard time being able to see what's behind me and to my left--such as car traffic running next to a bike lane. When I angle the mirror down a little, I just see a bunch of my left shoulder. Angle it up slightly, and I'm looking at the sky behind me. I ride a touring bike with drop bars with the saddle slightly higher than the handlebars. Any tips on how to use and adjust the mirror would be much appreciated!

13. Likes VA2DC liked this post