Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the wee-riders- what's the next bike after a balance bike?

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    Clearly I'm no expert- but if you want to try the balance bike thing why not just pull the pedals/crank/BB from her current bike?
    I tried this with a 12" bike for my youngest. It works somewhat, but the geometry isn't as good for using her feet on the ground as her knock-off like-a-bike. The seat doesn't go as low, for one thing.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    If anybody has a Skuut type bike suitable for a 6 year old (that I could also use by the time my younger daughter turns 3 or so) let me know. I started my oldest daughter, now 6, on the more traditional training wheel bike. She is very good at handling and turning on our concrete patio or on a quiet street but way too absent minded for longer rides. I tried to get her to go without training wheels once and she got very panicky so back on with the training wheels. My youngest is still on a trike.

From what I have read recently, I think it is better to teach balance first on a skuut and then pedaling on a regular bike but I cannot go back now. Unfortunately, my wife puts this all on me and does nothing to teack biking skills.

I'm pondering buying a kids razor type scooter hoping that might teach balance as well. Anybody have experiece with that teaching balance to kids and crossing over to bikes?

A friend of mine with kids hypothesized that boys take more readily to biking as a daredevelish type thing whereas girls tend to learn when there is some peer pressure involved.
    My daughter was a bit quicker than my son, so YMMV--kids are individuals. How did you try taking the training wheels off? I pull them off, then start by running around holding the seat and move to running around holding their shoulder. I also adjust the seat relatively low to lower the center of gravity and make it a bit less scary. The running around is just a few minutes at a time until they're ready for longer. With #2, he just wasn't ready so we gave it a break for a month at a time and would give it another shot. One day, he just did it. Note: running around bent over holding onto a bike is much harder on the dad than the kid, and my back is usually the limiting factor for session length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    My daughter was a bit quicker than my son, so YMMV--kids are individuals. How did you try taking the training wheels off? I pull them off, then start by running around holding the seat and move to running around holding their shoulder. I also adjust the seat relatively low to lower the center of gravity and make it a bit less scary. The running around is just a few minutes at a time until they're ready for longer. With #2, he just wasn't ready so we gave it a break for a month at a time and would give it another shot. One day, he just did it. Note: running around bent over holding onto a bike is much harder on the dad than the kid, and my back is usually the limiting factor for session length.
    I could pull off the cranks but I would like to have a balance bike anyway for my youngest daughter (now 2 1/2) so thought I might as well get one that my oldest could use now and my yougest could use in a few months rather than take apart my older daughter's bike.

I just took the wheels off and held the seat as I pushed her. It is a pain in the back for the dad for sure, I can't stand doing that. When I sensed it was not working, I put the training wheels back on.

One thing I thought about was trying it out on a grassy, sloped area. The slope would help with pedaling so they could coast and the grass would help against any falls. We actually have a perfect spot in our backyard. My daughter is extra stubborn and still cannot get over the fact that you cannot just stop pedaling and moving on a bike without training wheels. I think it is going to take a friend of equal or slightly older age that can bike and wants to go with her to be a motivating factor.