Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does riding on the MVT lower one's IQ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does riding on the MVT lower one's IQ?

What's up with all the dangerous cycling behavior on the MVT? The only thing I can think of is that getting on this trail has an effect on the brain. As a wimpy female on a hybrid bike, I get passed a lot- and hardly anyone ever signals. Worse, many riders seem to think that a 3-inch clearance when passing (again, without any signal) is acceptable. (Last week one woman passed me so closely, I could have touched her if I stretched my pinky!)

I am actually starting to think I should go back to my alternate route which is almost all on streets with cars because the MVT is getting dangerous. At least most motorists obey the 3-foot clearance rule.

People, be careful! My kids are really, really cute. When the jury considering my family's wrongful death suit against you sees them, you will definitely be paying for their college educations.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great reminder that ALL of us need to be extra considerate when we ride the trails. Nowhere that we're going is so important that we have to be impolite, rude or scary.

I think we all make mistakes on judging our passes from time to time. This probably goes beyond that. Be careful. Be considerate. Remember that each of us is NOT the only one on the trail.

Pete

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

When do you ride the MVT? I don't have many problems on it. True, most don't call their passes, but I've never had someone pass me blatantly unsafely. And I call the few passes I manage to make.

On the other hand, I saw four Capitol Police on a training ride Friday morning. The lead officer called their pass to me when he was riding right next to me on the 14th Street bridge. Note to the officer: if I'm looking right at you, "on your left" is completely unnecessary.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as a matter of fact, there is an ordering of average IQ by bike path. If goes from lowest to highest as:
    CCT, MVT, Custis, W&OD, and C&O towpath.

You are right about streets versus trails in my opinion. In general, I find the streets safer.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that a lot of fair weather cyclists are out at this time of the year as well as a lot of out of town visitors. The NPS at the last meeting I attended did make mention that they are thinking of putting up signs that explain the rules of riding a MUT. Much needed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of fair weather cyclists are out at this time of the year as well as a lot of out of town visitors. The NPS at the last meeting I attended did make mention that they are thinking of putting up signs that explain the rules of riding a MUT. Much needed!
    Sometimes all that's needed is a sign explaining that the thing you are on is, in fact, a MUT and not whatever you might think it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I was riding up the Custis hill toward the Clarendon races and thought better of trying to pass a guy in a tight space. When I called out "you go ahead" so he didn't have to break his cadence to go around somebody, he was like genuinely surprised and thanked me over and over. I was like "wow" people must not yield much around here. I'm spoiled by the uncrowded trails I usually ride -- in VA you guys had a ton of people out this weekend! On the one hand it was pretty inspiring to see all the bikes, but on the other hand I had to pay a lot more attention than usual -- no daydreaming or sightseeing!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Dismal: CCT is the highest???? Can I check your methodology???

Have to say, during commute hours I have almost no trouble on the MVT. The Muggles are obvious (tourists, and joggers from GTown) and you take care around them. During, er, "recreational hours" - yeah, the MVT is a different creature that I generally try to avoid.

Today on the MVT I came upon two cyclists pulled over on the boardwalk on the Roosevelt. One had found a rather large turtle on the boardwalk and was carrying it to safety.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Dismal: CCT is the highest???? Can I check your methodology???
    I think you misread my statement.

I don't need no stinking methodology. I'll just claim my authority and let everyone defer to my expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I must be way into double digits by now

I ride the MVT literally hundreds of times a year. They kicked me out of Mensa because of it. Now BU is going to pull my diploma.

Oh, you mean OTHER people get a lower IQ! Doh!

I agree that the summah people cause an awful lot of conflicts on the trail, especially at Gravelly Point. Belle Haven Park is pretty bad too.

The rest of the year, I can reserve my disgust for the idiots who confuse the MVT with a Tour de France time trial.

As for not calling your passes, this seems to be a year round problem. I'm out there in January. The same ass hats that pass me without warning do it every day of the year. They'll never learn until they end up in an ambulance.

I do love the trend of announcing a pass just as I am pulling out to pass someone. You couldn't see I was about to pass? So you had to run up my rear and yell? Check those handles on your bike. They are brakes. Use them. It's good for the soul.

Maybe they could put up bollards randomly along the trail. I'm sure that will help.