Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Trail Work 6/11/12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upcoming Trail Work 6/11/12

From the Parks & Rec department:

"Fence contractor is expected to be replacing the fence along the Four Mile Run Trail this week at Columbia Pike.

Paving contractor is expected to begin work between Lincoln and Lee Highway on or about June 18th. Detours will be in place.

Vegetation trimming [along the Custis] will continue this week.

Activities are weather dependent."

consularrider is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up, I'll adjust my route.

Do I assume the paving between Lincoln and Lee Highway also refers to the Custis Trail?

consularrider is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The new fence along 4MRT just east of Columbia Pike looks good. The old rotted split rail fence has been replaced with a double green metal rails with wooden posts. I guess it is there to keep you from going over the trail edge and into the run?

Post Thanks / Like

Message received today:

"Trail paving is scheduled to begin tomorrow 6/19. We are still waiting for confirmation from the contractor, but be prepared to detour in the area of Lincoln street to Lee Highway (at the "S" Curve)"

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    be prepared to detour in the area of Lincoln street to Lee Highway (at the "S" Curve)"
    Thanks, Tim. Do we know what the detour would be? Am I going to have company on Lee Hwy tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not gotten any further information.

Make sure to take along a map or your smart phone if you think you might be get lost!

Post Thanks / Like

Another update:

"Paving contractor will not start until Wednesday 6/20/12. Paving is expected to be complete by the weekend. Construction vehicles will be traveling on the trail between Lee Hwy and Lincoln during the project. Plan your alternate route or follow posted detour signs."

Post Thanks / Like

I saw they're putting up the detour sign around 9:30 this morning. I would be nice if they can wait after the morning rush hours to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Another update:

"The Custis Trail will be closed for a probable 3 days starting 6/19/12 between the Lyon Village Shopping Center and Cherry Valley Park (near Quincy St) for the purpose of repaving. The detour is expected to utilize Quincy Street and Lee Highway to navigate people around the Trail construction area. There are areas of Street construction on both Quincy and Lee Highway so use extra caution in these areas. Detour signs will be posted. Commuters should allow themselves extra time to get to their destinations. Thank you for your patience while we make improvements to our trail system. "

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I only take the Custis out to Lorcom so thankfully I don't have to worry about this, but maybe tomorrow AM I'll ride out to the detour area and investigate.