Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BTWD Fallout

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    As far as increasing bone density, I've been told and seen a couple articles that actually the opposite may be true, that competative cyclists and swimmers may have lower bone density due to the low impact nature of the sports. Of course like everything else there are also articles contradicting this, so your results may vary.
    Interesting. I was mulling over this during an internet-free (read: semi-undirected-research-free) time and wondered if my mix of 6 hours of higher-intensity walking per week was complementary to the cycling, with regards to bone strength.

Can't hurt, I suppose.

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, I started out from a BTWD too. It's getting better and more fun every year. To keep up with my bone density, I run twice a week so I can yell at the cyclists that passing too close without call their pass.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all

by the way, I'm on Runkeeper if anyone's interested in being a "street buddy"

http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/
    (I hope there's no religious quarrels over runkeeper vs. mapmyride vs. endomondo here....)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Certifried View Post
    thanks all

by the way, I'm on Runkeeper if anyone's interested in being a "street buddy"

http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/
    (I hope there's no religious quarrels over runkeeper vs. mapmyride vs. endomondo here....)
    We take anyone! Strava...RideWithGPS...Daily Mile...Garmin Connect.....

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to all of the above. Plus, find a bit of time to stretch or do yoga, whatever the cool kids are calling it these days.

Just continue to have fun with it.

And welcome.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

RA is also rampant through my family, KLizotte (Liz?). My paternal grandma had it, and my dad his it. My mom also has osteoarthritis, so I'm genetically screwed. My RA factor has been high for a lot of years, but I don't have it, knock on wood. I had an abnormal ANA once and the rheumatologist told me that "you don't have anything yet, but come back every 6 months because you're likely developing RA, lupus, some other auto-immune disease, or cancer". ... .. wtf... really? cancer? see you in 6 months? I saw another doctor right away, and got a second opinion. So, now I watch it, get tested annually, but I'm not freaking out like I was for a couple of days
    Overactive immune systems runs in my family too (RA, allergies, lupus, etc). Recent research shows that people with overactive immune systems have a lower incidence of cancer but they don't know why. At least there is a small silver lining.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    We take anyone! Strava...RideWithGPS...Daily Mile...Garmin Connect.....
    Speaking of these, anyone interested in making a Strava "club" for BikeArlington?

Post Thanks / Like

A little background, since I'm new here. I'm 42, live in Bethesda, work in Suitland.
    Welcome back to the bike! I hope you can ease into it ok. I work in Suitland too, so it will be nice to see another rider on the roads in Southeast. So are you Census, Navy, or NOAA? Heh. I've seen a couple of regulars near the Douglas Bridge, but no one up in the Suitland area. The few I have seen tend to ride on the wrong side of the road (ahem WABA - education is still in need over there). I live in Arlington and commute 24 miles round trip by cutting through DC. I thought 24 miles was rough.

What route did you take? I head a little out of the way to take advantage of the bike lanes on Mass Ave and Alabama. The big-ass hill going up Mass Ave has even shown dividends on my weekend rides as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Welcome back to the bike! I hope you can ease into it ok. I work in Suitland too, so it will be nice to see another rider on the roads in Southeast. So are you Census, Navy, or NOAA? Heh. I've seen a couple of regulars near the Douglas Bridge, but no one up in the Suitland area. The few I have seen tend to ride on the wrong side of the road (ahem WABA - education is still in need over there). I live in Arlington and commute 24 miles round trip by cutting through DC. I thought 24 miles was rough.

What route did you take? I head a little out of the way to take advantage of the bike lanes on Mass Ave and Alabama. The big-ass hill going up Mass Ave has even shown dividends on my weekend rides as well.
    http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/activity/90369023
    Census I took the capital crescent trail down to canal, to Independence to Maine, M, First, across the Frederick Douglass, up Anacostia to Good Hope, Alabama, then Suitland Rd. It's not a bad ride other than climbing Good Hope Rd... I did the CycleXMd year out in Western MD, didn't have a lot of problems with hills at all, but that seems to be my biggest challenge since starting to ride again I need to really work on that.

I do have one question about the Frederick Douglas (or any narrow passing), who should yield? The poor sucker climbing or the guy zipping down? That's so narrow on that bridge.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/activity/90369023
    I do have one question about the Frederick Douglas (or any narrow passing), who should yield? The poor sucker climbing or the guy zipping down? That's so narrow on that bridge.
    I think the person going down should yield. Has always seemed cruel to me to make someone re-start (or change position) on a hill and it's no biggee for the person zipping down to wait a second or two.