Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BTWD Fallout

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I think the person going down should yield.
    That's the same position the California DMV takes on hills, and as a previous resident of San Francisco, I wholeheartedly agree. Whoever is putting in the most effort gets the right of way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    That's the same position the California DMV takes on hills, and as a previous resident of San Francisco, I wholeheartedly agree. Whoever is putting in the most effort gets the right of way.
    That's SOP in mountain biking, as well. (Aside: it's rather infuriating how few people actually follow it in practice, especially when it's a guy barreling downhill versus a girl going up. I feel a lot of the time dudes would just bash right into me if I didn't get out of the way.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Overactive immune systems runs in my family too (RA, allergies, lupus, etc). Recent research shows that people with overactive immune systems have a lower incidence of cancer but they don't know why. At least there is a small silver lining.
    Looking at my family history, I'd have to say I believe in this 100%. Of course, 1 family isn't hardly a sampling.... All my grandparents lived well in to their 80s/90s, no cancers anywhere (knock on wood). I'm somewhat convinced that I'll live long in to my 80s or 90s (knock on more wood), unfortunately it will be a painful existence

Thanks all for the etiquette knowledge, that definitely seemed like the right thing to do. Though, the guy I met on the bridge yielded on his uphill before I got the chance to yield my downhilling. He looked mildly winded, so he might have been thankful for the break LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Certifried View Post
    I do have one question about the Frederick Douglas (or any narrow passing), who should yield? The poor sucker climbing or the guy zipping down? That's so narrow on that bridge.
    I have tried to go by the "uphill gets the right of way" rule on the Douglass bridge, but every time I try, the person ahead of me yields way before I get close to him. It's usually the same guy. I was taught that rule from hiking. It was really great in the Adirondaks to see people step aside to let us keep our slow ascent up Algonquin Peak going. Chile though was another matter... all those damned Europeans didn't yield for anything! In the crowded areas, the only reason we had any trail space at all was because I was 2x their size.

With regard to the hills - Good Hope road is rough! Mass Ave is long, but it has flat parts where you can catch your breath at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Hope road is something I am determined to conquer. I haven't let it beat me yet, but it sure kicks my ass.