Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Remove Useless Bollards (RUB)

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Remove Useless Bollards (RUB)

At the last BAC meeting I made mention of the three consecutive bollards on the connector to Van Buren St. just east of the Lee Highway intersection.

Along those same lines, not long ago I blogged about the uselessness of these trail hazards (http://www.commuterpageblog.com/2010...stanchion.html). The really questionable ones are ones that occur at the intersection of two trails. Huh? What's the point of that?

Obviously by bringing it up at the meeting I jinxed myself. Just yesterday I was cycling with my daughter on the Bluemont Junction Trail. She is still gaining confidence as a cyclist, so she wobbles a bit, particular when starting and at low speeds. We stopped to cross Evergreen Street, and, lo and behold, as we got started she collided with the bollard on the opposite side of the street.
    Fortunately it was a low-speed encounter--but, of course, she cried for a couple of minutes until she regained her composure and we could move on. This just redoubles my opinion that these obstacles are more liability than benefit and should be removed until there is a history of trail encroachments.

Pretty much the entirety of the W&OD does not have bollards. What do they know that we do not? (Or what do we know that they do not?)

Steve
    Self-Appointed Chair of Remove the Useless Bollards (RUB)

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey O Steve,

Here are a couple of "useful" bollads.

The approaches to this bridge on Trukhaniv Island were refurbished in May. In addition other gates and bollards were installed in early spring to reduce motor vehicle traffic on the trails. They seem to be having the desired effect since many of the trails are reverting to single track and the sand surface is more compact not being constantly torn up by heavier vehicles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0917[1].jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	11866

This second set of "bollards" look like they were designed to obstruct Russian tanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0918[1].jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	11867

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Hey O Steve,

This second set of "bollards" look like they were designed to obstruct Russian tanks.
    And have they been successful?

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I noted two bollards (flexi-bollards, perhaps?) that have recently disappeared. One is at the bottom of the the ramp from the MVT to Key Bridge (north end of the parking lot). The other was on the Custis above Scott Street. Vigilantes?

Post Thanks / Like

I already miss the one at the west end of the bridge over GW Parkway. It was the most fun turn to rail heading east in the mornings. And there isn't even a gaping hole I can jump.

Post Thanks / Like

Just this morning I noticed those two bollards missing, at the top and bottom of the Roosevelt Island helix! I hadn't gone that way in awhile, was just taking the long route in this fabulous weather.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I noted that the one on the Custis at Scott Street is now gone. This had been discussed at the BAC meetings in the past. The program manager told us that it would be removed as part of the Lee Highway project. I asked, if that's the case, then why not just do it now? Hopefully, given that, they won't put it back.

I haven't been down to the GWMP/TR Island Bridge in the last few days, so I haven't seen that spot. Both of those always struck me as being particularly useless and even a bit hazardous. Glad to hear they are gone.
    Last edited by Steve O; 10-19-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Steve
    Self-Appointed Chair of Remove the Useless Bollards (RUB)
    Steve, I found your soulmate on Twitter.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve O has had two recent victories in the war against bollards. The bollard in the bridge between Four Mile Run Trail and Shirlington Dog Park and the bollard by the bridge to Glen Carlyn Dog Park have both been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes KWL, sjclaeys, consularrider, dasgeh, Emm liked this post