Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike to Work Day Pictures

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say "no" (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you freakin' kidding me?! We can't see the river for heaven's sake.
    Last edited by KLizotte; 05-18-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say "no" (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you kidding me?!
    Wonder if they were idling all day? Nothing like filling your lungs with freshly burned carbon particulates as you tour our National Mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say "no" (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you kidding me?!
    I think they did it as a service.

The nice shiny clean busses kept Arlingtonrider and I from having to look at the obvious visual conflict between the Potomac and the development along the ridge in Arlington. In its wisdom, the NPS knew we would be conflicted by that contrast so it arranged for the busses to shield us.

Seriously. the busses were shut off and location aside, were in a location where they could drop off the visitors and park in a manner that allowed convenience and helped minimize traffic. The reality is that as much as we would like busses to disappear, they provide a fairly efficient form of transport for both tourists and folks that work in the city (these were tourist transport devices). Arlingtonrider rode past the WWII memorial and there were a number of vets who came by bus. Because of their age, that was the only choice. The District has worked long and hard to figure out locations for bus parking that are close, acceptable, affordable and don't screw up traffic. Is the road along the Potomac the best? Not likely, but it seems to work. For moving people, busses are better than cars (against a host of metrics) and cheaper/more flexible than fixed mass transit. I'd hate to think what DC traffic would be like if all the tourists drove downtown in cars or took the metro (I know, some days it seems they do both simultaneously). Bus parking is probably one of those issues where we have to look for ways to work with government to identify the best (least bad?) location. At least by having them all in one place, the Park Police can easily enforce the rules on idling (I am sure fuel prices help with enforcement as well).

Dana
    Last edited by dbb; 05-19-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: My inner adult actually made itself evident!

Post Thanks / Like

Dana,

I agree with you. None of the buses was idling, and seeing all those elderly veterans and others enjoying the WWII memorial and MLK monument was touching. The buses do have to sit somewhere. Mostly though, I'm very impressed that your inner adult could come out before 5:43 in the morning. My inner adult, which rarely appears in any event, has never appeared at that hour! Great riding with you yesterday. Really enjoyed your wonderful company.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 05-19-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Inner grammarian came out.

Post Thanks / Like

This one showed up on Flickr this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    This one showed up on Flickr this morning.
    What the heck was the protest about?? Just curious as to why ethiopians would have a problem with indians.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work Day Pics

Ballston Rest Stop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work Day Pics - Part II

Rosslyn Rest Stop

Post Thanks / Like

On the bike to work day, I’m joining the G8 leaders summit to demand more funding for the bike infrastructure.

NPS is not very helpful. I'm taking it to the G8 leaders.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RESTONTODC; 05-19-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Picture

Post Thanks / Like

Default I survived bike to work day

Here are some pix from my day. Special thanks to the dodos working on the Jones Point Park rehab near the Wilson Bridge for screwing up yet another detour on the Mount Vernon Trail in time for all the new bike commuters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootcho...7629802312798/