Thread: Bike DC meetup?

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike DC meetup?

We're riding down from Greenbelt to BikeDC on Sunday morning. Planning to leave Greenbelt (New Deal Cafe) at 6:20am, and to go through Wells Ice Rink parking lot at 6:45. Hope to arrive at the start at about 7:30. Planning to wait in front of the Newseum (Penn Ave at 6th street -- lots of nice newspapers to read on display out front) from 7:30am to 7:45am in case some friends make it down to join from different directions. Anybody else want to meet up for the ride? We'll be riding the longer course. We're pretty easy to spot -- I have a yellow helmet which will probably have a GoPro on it since my handlebar mount broke on the potholes of Baltimore last Saturday (thankfully the camera survived its crash to the street). Laurie has a blinged out cross bike. -Jeff and Laurie.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun. I'll look for you at the start line. I'll likely be wearing a BikeArlington jersey

Dana

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still waffling on whether or not I'm doing the ride, but if I do I'll meet you at the Newseum. I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you some friendly advice - don't start at the back of Bike DC. You'll be fighting through people who haven't dragged their bikes out of the garage in months, if not years. If you want to enjoy it, start towards the front around 7am. We almost missed the ride altogether last year and started at the back. It was quite the slog through people walking uphill on the GW Parkway.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Let me give you some friendly advice - don't start at the back of Bike DC. You'll be fighting through people who haven't dragged their bikes out of the garage in months, if not years. If you want to enjoy it, start towards the front around 7am. We almost missed the ride altogether last year and started at the back. It was quite the slog through people walking uphill on the GW Parkway.
    For better or worse, our schedule is set -- we'll slog happily with the slowbies. (We have plenty other opportunities to ride fast, like on our way downtown, so don't mind going slow and social with this one...)

Post Thanks / Like

Dana,

Thanks for mentioning the BikeArlington jerseys! I'll likely wear mine too. I hope to start with the early group, but I'm not super fast, so will probably see the Newseum folks along the ride. See you all there!

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you started this thread. I'm going to ride with my ten year old grandson this Sunday and while we have ridden thru the park a couple of times the 11 mile half course is probably going to stretch his riding experience. Has anyone ridden previous years with kids or have any observations about riding with kids?

Thanks

consularrider is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there as a ride marshal, so look for the yellow bib over my Bike Arlington jersey.

KLizotte is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to aim to meet Greenbelt in front of the Museum no later than 7:45.

I'll be wearing this, err, distinctive jersey. I figure no one else will be wearing one so feel free to swing by and say "hi" while on the ride.

Name:  biking jersey.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  99.1 KB