Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Join us for the Confident City Cycling ride tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Join us for the Confident City Cycling ride tomorrow!

We still have some spots available and we really want to have a good turn out to justify bringing in instructors. There is something for everybody. Discussion, instruction, practice drills, and a 12 mile ride.
    Yes, we will even have BIKE SWAG!
    Starts at 10am at Quincy Parking Deck near Ballston.
    Everything is free. Go to this link for more details and to register:
    http://bit.ly/IESchM

Post Thanks / Like

How old do you have to be to take this class? Thanks.

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

The minimum is 18 years old for the waiver.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the lane. Be assertive. Don't hug the right side of the road when there is not enough room for you and a car to coexist safely.
    These were important words heard today at Confident City Cycling Class.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	989

Mark, Kathy, and I represented this forum today. The first hour was spent listening to instructions and having a chance to ride through some drills to emphasize scanning and safe stopping and starting. The we hit the streets.

Yesterday the instructors introduced themselves. Bruce Wright from FABB said he uses his bike in place of his car. He is a terrific instructor, calm and professional. Mr. Chris Eathough mentioned he did some competitive stuff. I guess *this* slipped his mind. http://www.24-solo.com/trailer/trail...e_mpeg4_dl.mov You simply cannot be timid when this person is leading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	990

For about two hours we rode through every type of traffic situation there is. We rode through residential areas and busy streets (Columbia Pike). We rode along the Mount Vernon Trail and its intersections of Doom. We merged across two lanes of traffic to turn left. We rode sharrows and bike lanes, up hills (Wilson Blvd) and down. We rode through stop signs and traffic lights. We made tricky crossings with limited visibility. Every type of road condition available in Arlington we rode. It was practical and smart.

If you have the opportunity to take Confident City Cycling, do it. It was four hours that may end up saving my life. If you feel confident riding the streets, recommend this class to someone you care about.

ann
    Last edited by acc; 05-07-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: "some competitive stuff" needed context

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add to Ann's info about this great class that there is also an impressive online component to it, with quizzes, that anyone can take at any time. The online course, which took me about 2 hours to go through (you can stop any any time and come back to where you were) covers much more than just traffic safety. It includes bike choice and fit, mechanical systems and maintenance, tips for braking and shifting properly, evasive manuevering (quick turns, emergency stops, and how to best quickly go around unexpected small obstacles) and suggested exercises for practicing those things, and nutrition and hydration before long rides, in addition to traffic safety info. I highly recommend the online course in addition to the hands on session mentioned above. To register for and take the online program, go to www.bikeed.org. (easy way to remember - bike ed)

Many thanks to our great instructors on Saturday! It was a wonderful class and practice ride, and I do feel much more confident about riding on roads now, even though I've been riding some of them for awhile. Thanks for the swag and snacks too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    ...evasive manuevering (quick turns, emergency stops, and how to best quickly go around unexpected small obstacles)
    That last one is my favorite because it is called: ROCK DODGE!

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

I took this class Saturday in DC and it was AWESOME!

We did about two hours of drills (rock dodge, emergency stops, emergency turns, sloooooow riding) then hit the DC streets for about an hour and a half to experience all of the different types of bike lanes. We took the Penn Ave cycletrack, the 7th St bike/bus lane, the 15th St cycletrack, and even made a full loop of Thomas Circle switching from bike lane to car lane to bike lane to car lane... really, really excellent! Now I am not freaked out by the cycletracks.

We finished up with a tire change demo back at the Ellipse, then I relaxed under a tree for a while to recover from all that hard work - which coincidentally put me in just the right place at the right time to see my brother ride past in the Police Unity Tour!

Important thing I learned not covered by the class: When you haven't been on a bike in a really long time and you're planning to suddenly be on one for 3 1/2 hours, WEAR THE CHAMOIS!

I'm going to take the June 3 class in Alexandria so that I can do the trail riding half next
    Last edited by KelOnWheels; 05-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.

consularrider is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    ... We rode through stop signs and traffic lights. We made tricky crossings with limited visibility... ann
    I hope you don't mean that literally and that they did teach you to stop for stop signs and red lights!

Post Thanks / Like

I just took this class with Chris. It is a great investment of time because it is centered around practical on road skills. It's a controlled ride with excellent leading and instruction. Even if you don't need this class, tell someone you know who rides a bike.

You must be 18 or older.