Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman Cyclist Struck and Killed May 3rd in Olney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Woman Cyclist Struck and Killed May 3rd in Olney

Post Thanks / Like

that's sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers go to the family of the cyclist.

That's a very heavily traveled road with no shoulders up there. Growing up not too far away, I saw many accidents in that stretch of 108 from just outside Laytonsville to Olney Mill Rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad! Condolences to the family.

I drove this road a lot when I was in Maryland. It's narrow, blind curves with many speeding drivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh... tragic. This is making me question my ride for tomorrow... I was going to head down to La Plata from Arlington, but a lot of the roads between here and there are busy and narrow (i.e. Livingston Rd), just like that section of Rt 108.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wonder if there should be actual legal requirements for operating a bicycle on a public road. Think about it, there are hundreds of pages in FMVSS108 that regulate safety and conspicuity of motor vehicles being operated on public roads. Primarily as it relates to us, lights of a required intensity and placement as well as reflectors of a required intensity and placement. Yet we're allowed to place ourselves on the same roads, in the middle of the travel lanes, and we're not required to have anything. We're approx 1/10th the size of all surrounding objects (other vehicles). We might even have the same color clothing as the car next to or ahead of us. Or just all black. We don't need to have lights. Reflectors are too small to be worth anything.

With this in mind, I don't know how accidents such as this don't happen more often.

Post Thanks / Like

All I could think about today was the possibility that a child's dinner would not be on the table tonight, or a son or daughter would not be picked up from school because Mom tried to ride her bike to work. That breaks my heart. I am grateful to the motorist who stopped and stayed at the scene. I am so sorry for the woman's family. Any cyclist who pays the ultimate price for riding the roads is a tragic loss. I hope the accident investigation is thorough. I hope the conclusions of the report are used to make the roads safer for motorists and cyclists. This was a terrible day.

ann

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very sad story. Also sad for me (a news reporter in a different medium) is the hateful slew of comments on this story over at ABC 7 (http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/05...ash-75567.html)

I took a minute to offer some constructive comments on the board and to refute some of the anti-bike rhetoric thereon.

A note: On stories like this, reporters often monitor the comments sections to see what type of play the story is getting in the community. Putting a pro-bike comment on there is a simple gesture that can stick in the mind of a reporter for the next time they cover something bike-related. As ineffective as it may sound, I encourage you to post a pro-bike comment (or condolence for the cyclist) on any story you see on this topic.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Due to Bunjabi's post, I've left a pro-cycling comment on the site. I'm glad to see people are striking back at the haters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Due to Bunjabi's post, I've left a pro-cycling comment on the site. I'm glad to see people are striking back at the haters.
    Simply not wasting your time and electrons on WJLA would be a more productive and stress-reducing solution.

Post Thanks / Like

I visited the site, and commented too....man, it's always funny whenever something like this happens, there are some reasonable people, but more often than not there are people that stick to their guns and act like immature sad excuses for human beings...there is always the "My way is best....you are an idiot!" people that make up the majority of comments....I rarely read the comments sections for anything online anymore...often cyclists will hate on drivers, drivers will hate on cyclist, pedestrians will hate on both....it's so extreme....no compromise, no give and take, no "I see your point...we'll agree to disagree." so many people think they are 100% right, and that it's their way of the highway....frustrating. Condolences to the family...