Thread: L St Cycletrack Meeting on May 3rd

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default L St Cycletrack Meeting on May 3rd

Blatant cut-and-paste:

Bikes are on the streets in record numbers this year. This highlights the growing need for more protected bicycle facilities such as buffered bike lanes and cycletracks like the Pennsylvania Ave bike lanes and the 15th Street cycletracks.

The next major protected cycletrack in the plans for installation is the much-anticipated L St. cycletrack between 25th St NW and 12th St NW. This project provides the necessary east-west connection downtown in a safe and protected facility. Learn more about this project in a recent Greater Greater Washington blog post online.

DDOT will be hosting a meeting on May 3rd at 6:30 pm to present findings from a year long review of three innovative bicycle facilities installed in the past few years. The facilities included in this research are the Pennsylvania Ave bike lanes, 15th Street cycletracks and the intersection at 16th, U St and New Hampshire Ave. You can read the executive summary of the research on the DDOT website.

This study and the accompanying public feedback will impact the design of the next generation of the District's bicycle facilities. So it is important that cyclists plan to attend, review the evaluation, and provide your feedback on the proposals.

(Hint: this might be a good chance to weigh in on whether you think anecdotal evidence from New York provides sufficient justification to include “mixing zones” for bikes and cars on L St, or whether you believe better separation of bikes and cars on a cycletrack is needed.)

What: Public Meeting on Innovative Bicycle Facility Research and L Street, NW Protected Bike Lane
    When: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
    Where: Reeves Center
    2nd Floor Community Room
    2000 14th Street, NW

While this is a DDOT meeting and no RSVP is required, please let us know if you plan on attending so we can prepare WABA's response accordingly.

Best,
    Greg Billing
    WABA Outreach & Advocacy Coordinator

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't get a chance to go to this meeting, but I've heard (perhaps incorrectly) that this is going to be a one-way protected lane, and that they're planning another one-way protected lane going the other direction on M Street. However, the M Street one is delayed and won't happen soon. Seems to me a lot of people will salmon on the L Street track until both lanes are built. Seems like a two-way track would be better... even it it's a little narrow. But I don't know all the problems with building two-way tracks on one-way streets. They seem to manage in Montreal, though...