Thread: Bike/Car Incident on Pennsylvania Ave Cycle Track Thursday?

Live on Capitol Hill, work in downtown DC
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike/Car Incident on Pennsylvania Ave Cycle Track Thursday?

I was riding to work westbound on the Pennsylvania Ave cycle track yesterday. As I approached 15th Street at around 9:25 AM, I saw what I assumed to be secret service vehicles blocking the bike lane. As I got closer, I realized they were emergency vehicles--a firetruck and police SUV, I think. I saw a cyclist sitting on the curb surrounded by the emergency personnel.

I'm curious if anyone knows the circumstances of this incident? Since it was mid-block, I thought perhaps a car was making a U-turn and took out the cyclist. We hear about collisions when the cyclist ends up in the hospital, but in this case the cyclist was conscious and seemed to be okay. Since I use the cycle track regularly, I am interested in knowing what happened, and as a community, perhaps we can advocate for greater safety on these lanes.

Liz

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going around the interweb:

https://twitter.com/#!/struckdc/stat...07880596750338

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put money on it that it was a u-turning taxi that hit him. I've had a few close encounters with the front bumper of a taxi along that strip.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody U-turned like that on PA Ave in front of me this morning. Scary.