Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Great Allegheny Passage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Allegheny Passage

Planning to undertake the Great Allegheny Passage, heading east from McKeesport to Cumberland.
    I have received some great advice from people who have ridden it recently but always looking for more advice.
    Big concern is water -- is there plenty on the route?
    Welcome helpful suggestions!!

Post Thanks / Like

I rode the passage last May (along with the C&O). Water was not an issue for me. I stocked up when I had the chance. I don't think I would ride the passage this time of year. Too hot. May was great weather and I am sure the fall would be nice also. If you would like to read a trip report I wrote here is a link: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post10824373

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link to your story.
    I'm pretty sure we are going to regret the choice of July, but this is what worked best for us.
    I biked across southern Baja once in February (100+ the whole way) so I'm ready, I think.
    We also are staying at a B&B in which the owner has agreed to come scrape us up wherever we ask so that is our failsafe!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well we survived the Great Allegheny Passage this past weekend. While it was a bit cooler up there, it was still quite hot.
    We did the whole trip from McKeesport to Cumberland. McKeesport to West Newton on Day One; West Newton to Rockwood on Day two; and Rockwood to Cumberland on Sunday.
    Observations: Plenty of water, food, civilization. Going thru Ohiopyle State Park there were limited resources. Trail is in excellent condition -- good surface, generally wide, large portions in the shade, mile markers going up and down. Most people were NOT wearing helmets -- disturbing.
    Anyone wants to try it, I'm more than happy to provide advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I just rode the GAP this past weekend - great time to be up there! I rode from Cumberland to McKeesport.

I also noticed the lack of helmets and thought it may have just been an anomaly this past weekend - apparently not! I would say less than 10% of cyclists were wearing helmets. I found out PA law only requires helmets if you're 12 and under, which may expalin some of the helmetless folks...

I also thoroughly enjoyed the trail, it was in great condition with plenty of water and rest stops along the way. They did a great job with that trail!!!