Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pinch point on MVT under Wilson Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default New pinch point on MVT under Wilson Bridge

The work that's ongoing under the Wilson Bridge as part of the Jones Point Park upgrades that has affected the Mount Vernon Trail for over a year now is looking like it's getting into the end game, that's the good news.

A large yellow automatic barrier has been installed across South Royal Street and it appears the MVT's permanent route will be around to the side of it judging by the curb cuts that have been installed and the current route of the trail.

The BIG problem with the current layout is the utility pole smack in the middle of the trail, which creates a bad pinch point in this heavily used trail See photos.

I'm going to write to the contact people on the Jones Point Park website http://alexandriava.gov/recreation/i....aspx?id=34692 and hopefully I'll get some response. I have contacted them before and got quick replies, they have been helpful before.

I'll include a link to this thread in my email so if others have problem with this reply here or contact the representatives yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120413-00027.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120413-00021.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	951

Paul G

Post Thanks / Like

Brad from the Potomac Crossing Consultants called me back on Friday (same day as my email to them) and after I didn't respond to him he called me again today, which is good service in my opinion.

He said the utility pole in question that causes the pinch point is only temporary and should be gone within two weeks. Which is great news!

The completion of the final asphalt to the trail under the bridge, which should iron out all the bumps and steps, will be done in mid May he says, so we are nearing the end of the construction.

He noted that the trail will have anti vehicle bollards, which I know us bikers don't like but it's to stop cars from getting under the bridge, which poses a security risk to the bridge. Apparently TSA mandated it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all completed.

Paul G

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post. I commute 3 or 4 days a week along the MVT and the section under the bridge is a bit of a lottery. Looking forward to completion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    He said the utility pole in question that causes the pinch point is only temporary and should be gone within two weeks.
    Has the pole been removed yet? It's been 2 weeks. I saw that it was still there Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still there

The pole is still there as of this evening.

PotomacCyclist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Construction projects almost never seem to meet their deadlines and schedules.

Post Thanks / Like

So the pinch point is gone, took a little longer than 2 weeks but they got there eventually. The utility pole must have been removed yesterday and there is now a steel plate (be careful in the wet here) covering the hole. I am hoping that the final surfacing in this area under the bridge will be done soon. I see the contractor's laydown area at the Jones Point Park job is being cleared up which is a good sign that things are wrapping up.

I still don't like the bollards on the south side of the bridge and have a horrible feeling that we'll be seeing some on this side too.

Name:	IMG-20120601-00044.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120601-00043[1].jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1135

Post Thanks / Like

I think this time they've gone too far.

This morning on the MVT at the North side of the Wilson Bridge the 'new' side trail that recently had the utility pole removed (see earlier posts) was blocked so they could install yet more truck stopping bollards. So they moved the utility pole that was IN THE MIDDLE of the trail and then installed bollards that are IN THE MIDDLE of the trail. Very annoying.

So the reroute was along the road like the good old days but I can only assume in a vague attempt to block the trail from vehicle traffic the contractor parked the excavator with the boom forming an arch over the trail, and yes they required us to ride underneath with no other way around! I haven't checked the OSHA regs but that doesn't seem right to me.

Here are a couple of pictures of another crazy reroute.

Name:	IMG-20120605-00052.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120605-00048.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120605-00049.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	1165

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently a cyclist hit and was injured by a bollard in Alexandria late yesterday. See today's www.thewashcycle.com. Has anyone heard anything about the cyclist who apparently hit the one near Rosslyn and was in critical condition? How many more times does this have to happen???

On a more positive note, Randy Swart of the Arlington BAC put some nice hi-viz yellow paint on the cut-off bollard along S. Walter Reed Drive near Barcroft Park. It's now much more visible. Many thanks, Randy.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 06-05-2012 at 01:44 PM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why they are putting in bollards for the trail since it is my understanding that the area under the bridge is going to be used for special event car parking(!). If that is so, then bollards are silly if terrorism is the main concern.

I'd rather take my chances with the occasional idiotic car driver on the trail than having bollards permanently in the way.