Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Pete Signs Removed From Bridge!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arlingrton
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Pete Signs Removed From Bridge!

    Did anyone else catch this BS: https://www.fcnp.com/2023/06/08/an-u...me-wod-bridge/

    I get that they were put there surreptitiously, but who were they hurting? This kind of bureaucratic non-sense makes my blood boil. FWIW, I wrote and sent this to NOVA Parks:

    Dear NOVA Parks,

    I am writing to protest the removal of the signs from the WO&D bridge that crosses over Rt. 29/Langston Blvd in Arlington/Falls Church. Although the signs may have been placed without going through proper channels, the signs commemorated a local member of the cycling community who lived and worked in Falls Church. Pete was an extremely beloved member of the cycling community who supported riders of all levels and who promoted the joy of being outside and doing right by others. He did more to encourage good than few others I know.

    For NOVA Parks and VDOT to take them down seems, simply mean, and out of touch with the community NOVA Parks purports to help. Did anyone do any research to find out who Pete was, what his story was, or why someone went to the trouble of erecting a sign in his honor? Or was simply a matter of "this isn't right" and removing them? What were the signs hurting? I'll answer it: no one. But now you've engaged the community in a negative way and left a foul taste in this person's mouth. I have no doubt others as well.
    If NOVA Parks has any integrity you will replace the signs and let a community remember with a smile, a man important to others, every time they cross that bridge.


    If you want to send something, it can be sent to NOVAParks@nvrpa.org Maybe if the community makes a stink we can get this corrected.

  2. Likes Starduster, kwarkentien, Dickie liked this post
    ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    College Park
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is what appears to be the initial thread discussing the attempts to name the bridge.

    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...29-have-a-name

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's not taint Pete's legacy by associating his name to an illegal act.

  5. Likes accordioneur liked this post
    Dislikes lordofthemark, Steve O disliked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImaCynic View Post
    Let's not taint Pete's legacy by associating his name to an illegal act.
    I have it under good authority that Bikenetic, Pete's family, BikeArlington and scores of individuals were supportive of the posting of these signs. I'd be surprised if you can find anyone who knew Pete well who would agree with you.
    As huskerdont points out in his note, what may be bureaucratically out of due process happens to also be wonderful. Sadly, there are those who believe bureaucratic senselessness should override wonderfulness.

  7. Likes lordofthemark, Starduster liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I have it under good authority that Bikenetic, Pete's family, BikeArlington and scores of individuals were supportive of the posting of these signs. I'd be surprised if you can find anyone who knew Pete well who would agree with you.
    As huskerdont points out in his note, what may be bureaucratically out of due process happens to also be wonderful. Sadly, there are those who believe bureaucratic senselessness should override wonderfulness.
    Agreeing to putting up signs where they are not allowed? No - I'm not looking for agreement nor am I a fanboy of bureaucracy. But "supportive of the posting of these signs" doesn't give you the permission to do so, or at least on that bridge. You put it up knowing full well that there is a high likelihood that it will be taken down, and it has. It was a nice stunt while it lasted.

    Pete's name should NOT be tied-up in a bureaucratic tussle in any way.

  9. Likes accordioneur liked this post
  10. 06-25-2023, 05:26 PM


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Riverdale, MD
    Posts
    681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What are the proper bureaucratic channels to get VDOT and NOVA Parks to get this officially named and official signs erected? Is there a draft letter/petition we can work on to send to our local elected officials for support? In addition to the local bike community, I know there are other advocacy groups (e.g. WABA) that would likely get behind this. Itís so unfortunate when Iím sure what was intended as well-meaning local news reporting results in the dismantling of rogue acts of awesomeness.

  12. Likes Starduster, Steve O liked this post
  13. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA (W&OD MP4.5)
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    What are the proper bureaucratic channels to get VDOT and NOVA Parks to get this officially named and official signs erected? Is there a draft letter/petition we can work on to send to our local elected officials for support? In addition to the local bike community, I know there are other advocacy groups (e.g. WABA) that would likely get behind this. It’s so unfortunate when I’m sure what was intended as well-meaning local news reporting results in the dismantling of rogue acts of awesomeness.
    Early on, Henry investigated the proper process to apply for naming. You can see the information near the top of this thread. In post #18 on that thread, Henry provided more detail after speaking with NVRPA.

    Apparently, someone came to the conclusion (or, perhaps given post #8 on that thread, it was a foregone conclusion) that the defined process was too burdensome or might not provide the outcome our community desired, and took matters into their own hands instead.

    I'm with Imacynic - the guerilla naming was a fun and clever thing to have done, but we shouldn't have expected it to have lasted forever. Be careful advocating for ignoring rules and regulations - unless you're willing to sacrifice the "bureaucracy" you like as well as the parts you don't like.

  14. Likes ImaCynic liked this post
  15. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImaCynic View Post
    Agreeing to putting up signs where they are not allowed? No - I'm not looking for agreement nor am I a fanboy of bureaucracy. But "supportive of the posting of these signs" doesn't give you the permission to do so, or at least on that bridge. You put it up knowing full well that there is a high likelihood that it will be taken down, and it has. It was a nice stunt while it lasted.

    Pete's name should NOT be tied-up in a bureaucratic tussle in any way.
    I will agree to disagree with you on whether or not an unofficial effort to memorialize Pete is considered "tainting" his legacy. I personally do not consider it a taint in the slightest, but rather an honor that some would make such an effort.

    Let me assure you that even going through all the appropriate channels is still a bureaucratic tussle. There is no pathway to memorializing the bridge in his honor that will not be such. Perhaps you can volunteer to be part of that effort.
    Last edited by Steve O; 06-27-2023 at 02:35 PM.

  16. Likes Starduster liked this post
  17. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I have it under good authority that Bikenetic, Pete's family, BikeArlington and scores of individuals were supportive of the posting of these signs. I'd be surprised if you can find anyone who knew Pete well who would agree with you.
    As huskerdont points out in his note, what may be bureaucratically out of due process happens to also be wonderful. Sadly, there are those who believe bureaucratic senselessness should override wonderfulness.
    "As huskerdont points out in his note..."

    That won't me (although I do agree).

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In the meantime...if you see expressions of love for #dirt left by other Tricksters, enjoy *discreetly* and remember You Are Loved.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hello Kitty Pete Beers.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	30808

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •