Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bag/pannier for business suits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best bag/pannier for business suits?

Good morning!

I recently took a job that requires me to wear business suits every day. I have the bike commuting bug, though, and would like to continue to commute by bike. My new workplace has a gym/shower/locker facility for me to shower and change.

My only issue is getting my suit to work without rumpling it up so much. I have an Eagle Creek PackIt folder I currently use, but that really only fits shirts and one pair of slacks. I put that in a backpack. I do not currently have a rear rack on my bike for panniers, though

Any suggestions on what size pannier I might need for a suit? Anyone have a similar situation? If so, what do you use?

Thanks!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave my suits at work. Bring in fresh bottom layer (including shirts). I do dry cleaning at work. Pretty simple, though I get strange looks sometimes walking in wearing bike stuff or jeans (if I don't bike).

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

When I restarted commuting I bought a garment bag pannier that goes over my rear rack. One issue with it is that it is not waterproof, so if I needed a new suit every day, I would have issues on rainy days. Although, I think I could put the suit inside a vinyl garment bag and put that in the pannier. However, it turns out I don't use that bag very often because I have space to leave a couple of suits and a sport coat at work as well as a couple pairs of shoes. When they need cleaning, there is a drycleaner less than a block away. Most days I don't have to have the jacket, so I have a rack trunk with side pockets that can handle more than a full change of clothes.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a suit every day at work. Provided that the bag is big enough and protects against the elements, the real trick to getting your suit to work in decent shape is how you pack it. Your shirt choice can also make a difference to appearance after it has been carried in a pack.
    Shoes, belts, and overcoat stay at work.
    My suit, shirt, tie, etc get gently rolled and put in the bag (in my case a Timbuk2 Swig backpack). Actually, I put the whole schmeer into a separate bag first to protect it from my lunch.
    As for shirts---if your collar and cuffs (pocket if you have one) look flat, the shirt will look fine under your suit jacket. Over the years, I found that French cuffs stay flat and smooth much longer than single button.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pannier bag for suits from Two Wheel Gear, which I am very happy with. It fits over my rear rack like a garment bag, so no rolling up or folding of clothes. I need to bring everything in and the bag has plenty of room. It is not 100% waterproof, but I put my suit and shirt in a dry cleaning bag, which also keeps them clean and fairly wrinkle-free.

Post Thanks / Like

The Two Wheel Gear garment bag is a brilliantly designed commuter bag; I put a suit and dress shirt in the main compartment, and it folds over and attaches to my rack, with no wrinkling. It has side pockets for shoes, toiletries, compact pump, spare tube, papers, laptop, etc., so it has become my daily commuter bag. A dry-cleaner bag keeps the suit dry on rainy days. It has a loop on top to hang on a hook in the locker room at work, so it is easy to access when you are getting dressed.

My only complaint is that I seem to wear out the bag after four years or so of use; I'm about to retire my second one. I'd love to find a bag with its design features that is more durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! This Two Wheel Gear bag sounds like what I need. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty simple,
    the real trick to getting your suit to work in decent shape is how you pack it..
    i hope you like it ..

Post Thanks / Like

For a non-pannier situation/bag type, I have a SuitSak (https://www.suitsak.com). I wouldn't say it's necessarily waterproof, but it keeps most of the water out and if I use a drycleaning back then it's totally dry. It's a Canadian invention. Biggest negative is that it acts like a wind sail at Gravely Point on some days, but this could be seen as a plus for trainers. The reason I got it was the easy of putting my shoes (although I finally learned to just leave them at work), belt, tie, wallet, phones, keys, suit, other clothes, etc in it and they all fit nicely. Then again, they must not be popular as I've seen exactly one other person with the same bag in five years.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a Two Wheel Gear Bag for the past year. It's not waterproof, but does come with a rain cover. I've yet to arrive with a soaked suit after riding in the rain.