Thread: WO&D Trail Maint Planning?

Post Thanks / Like

Default WO&D Trail Maint Planning?

I noticed today that the Gallows to Maple section of the WO&D was being resurfaced- it's plenty nice but that section had never struck me as one that was in bad shape (especially compared to some of the the Reston & Herndon sections).

How does repair planning and funding on the trail work? Are the individual municipalities/counties responsible for both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    I noticed today that the Gallows to Maple section of the WO&D was being resurfaced- it's plenty nice but that section had never struck me as one that was in bad shape (especially compared to some of the the Reston & Herndon sections).

How does repair planning and funding on the trail work? Are the individual municipalities/counties responsible for both?
    That section was slated since well into last year to be resurfaced. That was the answer I got last year when I questioned why the Hunter Mill to Vienna stretch near Clarks Crossing got done when it was in far better shape. NVPRA handles the logistica and planning, and IIRC they have a budget that says they only have enough $ to pave once every 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they get to those sections out before Rt 28 this year. Those gaps in the trail are truly bone-jarring.

I guess the funds for the W&OD and the Custis Trail must come out of different buckets. There are parts of the Custis that are desperately in need of resurfacing.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    That section was slated since well into last year to be resurfaced. That was the answer I got last year when I questioned why the Hunter Mill to Vienna stretch near Clarks Crossing got done when it was in far better shape. NVPRA handles the logistica and planning, and IIRC they have a budget that says they only have enough $ to pave once every 20 years.
    Well, it's still a cadillac trail compared to the ones that haven't been paved in more than 20 years. :-/ Some more basic maintenance would be nice, though. (Instead of repaving the whole thing, it would be nice to just plug up some of the cracks, like they do on the car roads...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I hope they get to those sections out before Rt 28 this year. Those gaps in the trail are truly bone-jarring..
    Yup- those are the ones that came to mind this morning. I really wish they'd just patch those 10-odd cracks that are super-bad. The other section that I find really weird is the 100' right around and under Church Rd (last bridge WB before 28)- the surface is highly irregular but not visibly cracked. No matter how many times I ride it, I think that I've lost tire pressure...

Custis is a totally different class of messed up- some of those root rises are really scary and in bad places...

Post Thanks / Like

NVPRA is responsible for the W&OD maintenance until it gets to Arlington. Arlington takes over responsibility (under agreement with NVPRA) from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be happy NVRPA is responsible for maintenance and does something. Winter of '10-'11 they plowed; I saw a truck heading east out of Sterling blowing leaves/debris off the trail yesterday morning; and at least they have a budget to repave. In contrast, some combination of Fairfax County and VDOT is suppossed to take care of the Fairfax County Parkway path and does not seem to have any money to maintain it. Frankly, the parkway shoulder and the detour section onto the shoulder just south of Fox Mill is in better shape than many areas of the path.