Thread: Thanks for the offers of help

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the offers of help

Last night after dark I was riding the trails and making lots of stops to make adjustments to my brand new road bike. A big thank you to the three people that stopped to see if I was all right, esp the guy who did a big u-turn and rode all the way to the end of the TR parking lot to see what I was up to. The help wasn't needed but much appreciated.

Way to go bikers!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bike. Post a photo!

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

Good guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome that people were helpful. Awesome that it was a positive thing! It is often difficult to know how to ask if someone needs something in a way that isn't bothersome. Some of our trails are busy places for cyclists. I've noticed when fixing a flat for myself or someone else that I get asked if I need anything by an amazing number of people... often 10-15 people if I'm there for a few minutes. Some are somewhat patronizing. All are really nice to ask!

I like our community.

Cool news on the new bike K.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Awesome that people were helpful. Awesome that it was a positive thing! It is often difficult to know how to ask if someone needs something in a way that isn't bothersome. Some of our trails are busy places for cyclists. I've noticed when fixing a flat for myself or someone else that I get asked if I need anything by an amazing number of people... often 10-15 people if I'm there for a few minutes. Some are somewhat patronizing. All are really nice to ask!

I like our community.
    Hahahahaha. I got my first flat the other night on the new bike, on the rear wheel no less. Fortunately it happened in the parking lot of my apartment building at the beginning of the ride. Rather than haul the bike inside I decided to see if I could change the tube under "real world" conditions using my brand new Topeak Morph pump. I'd never had a bike with presta valves before and I wasn't aware that you are supposed to unscrew the little "thingee" at the tip. This would explain why I couldn't get a normal reading on my floor pump. The flat was totally my fault: under inflated tires.

So after 20 minutes of frustration (wishing one of the folks walking by would offer assistance - but alas they were all car people, I was in a parking lot after all) I decided to seek professional help. Fortunately I live right across the street from HTO, so I reassembled the bike and wheeled it over to the bike service department. I had zero shame in asking the service dude to show me how to fill the tube with my mini pump - the secret revealed!. I also asked him to show me what to look for when buying new tubes. I finished the repair myself without any difficulty.

So the moral of the story is this: the person on the side of the trail making a repair may in fact be truly clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure this would have helped but it's my favorite ( assuming you have have an iPhone, otherwise never mind ) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bike-...382006079?mt=8

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats also on the new steed. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you name your bike?