Thread: Park Police at Jefferson Memorial - Enforcement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Park Police at Jefferson Memorial - Enforcement

Came off the 14th Street Bridge this morning (about 1045) and took my normal right on East Basin Drive (the one way stretch going the other way). Just as I was heading for the sidewalk, I was pulled over by a bicycle Park Police officer for going the wrong way and given a warning for "Driving on the wrong side of the street". Seems to me that if you are salmoning, both sides of the street are wrong.

To be clear. I was riding the wrong way on a one way street. No disputing that fact. I admit it so it isn't necessary to point that out.

When I asked for the strategy to address this missing link in the cycling commuting infrastructure, I was told to turn left (towards the river) with little additional detail.

It seems that the Park Police are attempting to protect cyclists by enforcement on cyclists, rather than the folks that put us at risk.

As I was approaching my office near L'Enfant (still stewing, mind you), I saw a marked Park Police car blow through a crosswalk with the DC yield for peds sign and a pedestrian. Seems their concern for traffic safety isn't universal.
    Last edited by dbb; 04-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one instance where I will take the crosswalk directly from the 14th St Bridge access to the northside sidewalk so I am never on the road there. What were the pedestrian numbers like at that hour today?

Post Thanks / Like

For most of the time, it was me and the officer. Few peds, less traffic. I generally favor the road because of the peds on that block.

Post Thanks / Like

I often salmon for the first block - there's usually a tour bus or two letting off people right in front of the Memorial (I go through after work). I went through there around noon today though and didn't see anything of note.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of this happening; been traveling this route for years. There is a steady stream of bicycle traffic coming off the bridge into SW DC. I dont know whether to consider this a clueless aberration or that its time to talk to NPS again. Has anyone else had this experience?

I will say we raised this very point in the comments in response to the 14th St bridge EIS - that the connection from the edge of the bridge to Maine St is poor and is in need of significant attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I read an announcement somewhere (Washcycle?) that certain cyclist actions would result in warnings over this week and next as part of a safety effort. One of the actions mentioned was riding streets the wrong way. I think the article might even have mentioned some specific areas of the city. I'll see if I can find it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Alternately, one could always hook 4 lefts, bear right, and never have to salmon. And, (bonus) add a scenic little extra something to the ride. Heck, you could even throw in a right in place of the fourth left and loop around the point...
    After all, we ride because it's fun, right?
    Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do, for the love of God, just DON'T DANCE.

They hate that.

http://goo.gl/36k9c