Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Random Thoughts/Questions on MUP Signage

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Random Thoughts/Questions on MUP Signage

After the thread on new wayfinding signs, things I wondered about for the past few years have again been swirling around in my mind as I ride.

1. In Madison Manor, there is a sign at the intersection of the W&OD and 4MRT that says "Custis" and "John Marshall." Where is the John Marshall Trail, does it refer to a portion of the 4MRT?

2. Is the NPS ever going to replace the 14 mile post on the MVT just north of the Crystal City access trail? I think it's been gone for two months.

3. The new MVT route with the Humpback Bridge has reduced the trail length somewhat. Shouldn't mile posts 16 and 17 be moved accordingly?

4. Which trail does the section from Lynn St to the Roosevelt Island parking lot belong to, the Custis or the MVT?

5. The new 4MRT connector under I-395 has been in use now for two years, are the mile posts from the connector to the MVT going to be readjusted to account for changed distances? For a change, I looked at my trip milage as I rode east on the 4MRT starting at mile post 0 at Van Buren St. The mile posts and my GPS were in sync until mile post 6. It looks like it should be moved west to around the S Adam St or the trail gates. That would mean moving the next two as well. When I reached mile post 7.5, my GPS was showing nearly 8 miles.

6. Why is mile post 0 on the Custis under I-66 instead of at the intersection with the W&OD?

7. Stop and yield signs at trail on trail intersections. How does anyone decide when to control one of these conflict points? I don't think I've seen a trail on trail four-way stop. What are the rules pertaining to the uncontrolled intersections, first in time first in line? Priority to the right? Primary route has precedence over access trails? or something else?

All comments/answers welcome as well as your own observations/quandries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    3. The new MVT route with the Humpback Bridge has reduced the trail length somewhat. Shouldn't mile posts 16 and 17 be moved accordingly?
    Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost until they need to be replaced. It's not that big a change. I think more posts would need to be replaced, too.

4. Which trail does the section from Lynn St to the Roosevelt Island parking lot belong to, the Custis or the MVT?
    I always thought the MVT ended at the parking lot. The NPS map, which currently appears to be unavailable from the MVT page, shows the MVT ending at the Roosevelt Bridge. (I've got a copy of the graphic.)

Post Thanks / Like

Another random thought - with the profusion of smartphone-carrying riders out there, would it help to put QR codes on all wayfinding signs? The codes could generate a "you are here" map on the user's phone, complete with a list of what's coming along the trail (in whichever direction they are going) as well as a "how to find _____ from where you are now".

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Google, the Custis ends at Lynn St.
    According to Strava, the Custis extends across Lynn St. to the western edge of the bridge over the GWMP (but that makes it 4.5 miles).
    According to NPS, The Mt Vernon northern terminus is Theodore Roosevelt Island, and the trail itself is 18 miles. (google maps the trail to be 17.7 miles from the mt vernon parking lot to lynn st.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Another random thought - with the profusion of smartphone-carrying riders out there, would it help to put QR codes on all wayfinding signs? The codes could generate a "you are here" map on the user's phone, complete with a list of what's coming along the trail (in whichever direction they are going) as well as a "how to find _____ from where you are now".
    By the time that was implemented everyone would already have google maps, and qr codes would have been replaced by the next big thing.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

John Marshall trail refers to the bike route going up Ohio and John Marshall Drive, straight across Washington Blvd and past Lee Highway. (I think).
    McKinley extended into Fairfax County south of Wilson is also called John Marshall Drive.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree re-doing the mile posts through the entire trail to accommodate a few feet difference is not worth it. But as a nerd, I love the idea of putting QR codes on the trail. Not needed at every MP. But they would be great at various POI's. The nature people could put in nature stuff. The NPS can put in information about where the trail goes from here, distances, etc. It can bring up the weather. Hell, someone can capitalize on this and sell advertising rights for when people look up the POI's. Ice Cream, one mile! I think is overall brilliant.