Thread: DC selected for Green Lane Project

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DC selected for Green Lane Project

I just saw this pass through my email. Bikes Belong has selected DC to be one of six cities in its Green Lane Project. I don't know exactly what this means or all the implications, but it sounds like assistance planning for more protected cycletracks, which would be great news in my opinion. -Jeff

http://www.bikesbelong.org/news/bike...-focus-cities/

April 03, 2012

Bikes Belong’s Green Lane Project has selected six focus cities that will become national leaders in creating comfortable spaces for people on bikes over the next two years:

•Austin, Texas
    •Chicago, Illinois
    •Memphis, Tennessee
    •Portland, Oregon
    •San Francisco, California
    •Washington, D.C.

Green Lanes are dedicated, inviting spaces for people on bikes in the roadway. They are protected from motor vehicles by curbs, planters, posts, or parked cars. Also called cycle tracks or protected bikeways, the lanes are carefully engineered with rigorous attention to safety, efficiency, and ease of travel for all street users. The Green Lane Project will provide resources and technical assistance to help the six focus cities accomplish their goals of creating this type of protected space for people on bikes.

During the next two months, the Green Lane Project will work with elected officials, staff, and community groups in each city to finalize details, solidify the vision, and identify the unique story each city can tell. Details will be released at a national kickoff in late May in Chicago. The Green Lane website, greenlaneproject.org, will act as a hub where all U.S. cities working to install these types of facilities can share and learn from each other.

Post Thanks / Like

More protected bike lanes = music to my ears.