Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April - 3 Police Activity at Roosevelt Island Parking Lot- 8 am

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I rolled through around 7:35, and I've been shaken ever since. there was a LOT of blood, and it looked like tree petals or something that was pretty slippery at the base of the ramp. There were alrady four people there (I'm assuming rtdonato was one of them), and one on the phone. I rode really slowly and carefully the rest of the way in. Helmet didn't seem to do much good in this case. Hoping the cyclist is ok and recovering. If there was mulch and gravel, I hope that gets addressed by NPS.
    Someone should email them about the trail conditions. I don't know the email address but maybe it's listed in one of the pinned threads on the Trail Conditions forum.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apparent vehicle crash

Last night on the way down the hill, I encountered the aftermath of an apparent vehicle crash which left the base of the Rosslyn bridge treacherous:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootcho...in/photostream

I would guess that the accident did not involve police or that they simply took no steps to clean up after it.

I agree that a broom would have worked wonders.

I used to encounter this on a regular basis on the Case Bridge over near L'Enfant Plaza. An accident would happen on I-395 and someone would toss the accident debris out of the roadway and onto the side path.

Sorry to hear that someone was injured. I fell, albeit for different reasons, about 100 feet from this spot late last week.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    Last night on the way down the hill, I encountered the aftermath of an apparent vehicle crash which left the base of the Rosslyn bridge treacherous:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootcho...in/photostream

I would guess that the accident did not involve police or that they simply took no steps to clean up after it.
    That would have done it.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess this proves that NPS doesn't patrol that area much.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for the downed cyclist. Sounds awful but it should be kept in mind that superficial head wounds bleed a lot, more so than other parts of the body so it may not be as bad as it looked. On the other hand, if he wasn't moving at all....

Scary to think the mulch/dirt pile at the end of the ramp was probably there all night.
    The crud's been there since at least Saturday morning.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, right. On my ride home last night ~5:40pm, there was police activity on the North crossing of "Washington Blvd" on the almost-VA side of the Memorial Bridge (in other words, the cars were coming off of the Memorial Bridge heading either to 395S or 50W/GWP N). I always cross on the South side of the bridge, but from what I could see, there were 3 police cars, maybe 2 stopped "normal" cars pulled off on the grass and a couple of tourist-looking families stopped. I have no idea if anyone was hurt (no ambulances) or if any cyclists or peds were involved. I admit I'm just curious, but does anyone know what happened?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the injured bicyclist is okay, as someone mentioned earlier, head wounds tend to bleed pretty profusely. To what degree is the NPS liable for cleaning up the trail? I mean the Memorial Bridge has been pockmarked for the better part of two years now. Also, this particular location ranks third in my top-five least favorite, most-crash-prone spots between Falls Church and Metro Center. The entire list is:

1. TR wooden bridge shift to MVT (2 spills - huge thigh gash)
    2. Second crossing on Parkway up to Memorial bridge (hood ride)
    3. Spiral of Doom (dog leash in front wheel)
    4. Pre-caulking Rosslyn downhill (road tires used to get stuck in the crack - asphalt in ass)
    5. Memorial Bridge pothole collective (two flat tires and counting)

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

The crud was cleaned up when I rode down the ramp at 5 pm. It also looks like some rocks were added to the edge of the walk where it looked like the asphalt was breaking up, but I didn't stop for a closer examination.

Post Thanks / Like

This was forwarded to me from the Alexandria BAC listserv,

"This morning around 8am a cyclist was coming down the overpass from the Custis Trail to the MV Trail (over GW parkway) and apparently hit the steel post at the bottom in the center of the ramp. I talked to the NPS officer and he stated the cyclist was in critical condition. Upon leaving I noted there was some gravel on the lower portion of the ramp which could have been a factor although the officer said that speed was a factor. The officer was going to block the trail off but since he had not blocked the top of the trail at Lee Hwy and Lynn St it would not do much good."