Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Arlington claims to ticket those blocking the bike lane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlington claims to ticket those blocking the bike lane

Arlington County has added a lighted sign to the west side of N. Quincy St just south of Wilson Blvd, next to the apartment building with Taco Bamba and Lebanese Taverna on the ground level. It states that the bike lanes should not be blocked or you will be ticketed. Ticketing is clearly not an event taking place within the greater Ballston area and not before 7am or after 5pm.

On the first few days the sign was placed there, a truck was stopped in the bike lane next to the sign unloading goods before 7am. I haven’t seen it in a few days, but that can be timing. At approximate 6:35 on 7/22/22 a car was parked in the bike lane on Fairfax Dr, west of Glebe in front of the Starbucks (yes, in that clearly off-road, bike-lane only space) unloading milk and other things for Starbucks. When I yelled it was a bike lane the drive yelled back “I’m sorry” in a very unconvincing manner to which I replied that sorry doesn’t make it less illegal. There are frequently cars stopped in the bike lane on east bound Fairfax Dr next to the new apartment building at N. Quincy. Last week, one was stopped in the bike lane next to a very empty and very large parking spot. The construction across from the Metro station regularly blocks the bike lane, but when they stop for the day, at least, they tend to clear the lane.

N, Quincy between Wilson Blvd and Fairfax Dr seems to regularly have people parked in the bike lane in the evening (picking up food and booze?).

The country could earn a lot of money ticketing all these.

Post Thanks / Like

Same story on Crystal Dr. Occasionally they put up a variable message display warning drivers not to block the bike lanes. Once in a great while I'll see ACPD there, presumably writing tickets (or issuing verbal warnings.)

I've given up trying to use bike lanes in either location. Crystal Dr. a complete clown show, with double-parked cars and drivers jockeying for position, and the occasional U-turn from the northbound lane, just for extra thrills. Luckily it all happens at low speed, so likely to be more annoying than lethal.

Another LOL variable message display is on Rt 110, adjacent to Arlington Cemetery bike path. "NO LOUD MUFFLERS. IT IS THE LAW!" I'm sure that'll snap the scofflaws into compliance.
    Last edited by arlcxrider; 08-01-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post

Another LOL variable message display is on Rt 110, adjacent to Arlington Cemetery bike path. "NO LOUD MUFFLERS. IT IS THE LAW!" I'm sure that'll snap the scofflaws into compliance.
    Worried the loud mufflers might wake the dead, evidently.

4. Likes consularrider, Steve O liked this post