Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trail along FMR - between WSO&D and MVT - who maintains?

Post Thanks / Like

Default There may be a detour on FMR trail today

. . .and a happy one at that! Trucks were setting up to do work at THE BUMP this morning.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

We can always hope. I'll see around 5:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Creamy smooth comes to mind! . They did a nice job. Now we just have to hope it holds up.

Tim, please thank the right folks for getting to this and smoothing it out so well.

Post Thanks / Like

So it took just about a month from the initial note on this thread. Should that be considered fast? Or slow?
    I don't ride that section regularly, but I'm wondering if they put up cautionary signs after the notification of the problem but before the actual repair. Since we know it caused at least one injury, it would seem that would be the least one should expect.
    For comparison, imagine a bump in the road severe enough to make cars veer out of their lane if hit at normal speed. There would be cautionary signs up w/in hours even if the repair took longer than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike motorists, bicyclists lack insurance coverage for their bicycling injuries and property damage, so insurance company lawyers are not pressuring public agencies to promptly fix trail hazards.

Post Thanks / Like

The trail along Four Mile Run going east from West Glebe Rd was originally called the Wayne Anderson Bikeway, and it ran along the south/Alexandria side of Four Mile Run between Mt Vernon Ave/Arlington Ridge Rd and US-1. With the creation of additional trail segments along both sides of the stream, this name for the dual-jurisdictional bikeway has apparently fallen into disuse.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode this weekend, and yes, "the bump" is gone
    Thanks, Tim, and Arlington for fixing!

PS hand is almost totally healed, just a little tender tendon on the index finger.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that you're doing better!

By the way, if anyone noticed that actual FMR in the area east of the bump was looking a little cleaner than before, it's because SpokeGrenadeSR and fellow volunteers were out cleaning it up a week or so ago.

I also saw County people smoothing out "lesser bump" (the one nearby encountered by westbound riders) last week.

Lots of good things happening in that area. Thanks, everyone!