Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: What to do with video of dangerous driver at signaled crosswalk in Arlington?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These types of signals are a waste of money that better spent on better infrastructure. I thought HAWK Beacons are a better option, until I witnessed a car ignoring its 4 solid red lights and speeding(~35-40 MPH) while a lady and her kid were waiting to cross. They had the walk signal at the time, but luckily she looked before crossing. This was in Vienna, Maple Ave(RT123), 3 blocks west of the W&OD intersection(Street View here).

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    These types of signals are a waste of money that better spent on better infrastructure. I thought HAWK Beacons are a better option, until I witnessed a car ignoring its 4 solid red lights and speeding(~35-40 MPH) while a lady and her kid were waiting to cross. They had the walk signal at the time, but luckily she looked before crossing.
    yes, there's no safe way for pedestrians to cross large high speed roads. the options are 1) slow down the cars 2) design unsafe crossings 3) get rid of the pedestrians.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills, Arlington
    Posts
    6,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    yes, there's no safe way for pedestrians to cross large high speed roads. the options are 1) slow down the cars 2) design unsafe crossings 3) get rid of the pedestrians.
    I really like option #1, but it would require major re-education camps for those pesky drivers. Maybe shock collars for when they are speeding?

  4. Likes ursus liked this post
  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I really like option #1, but it would require major re-education camps for those pesky drivers. Maybe shock collars for when they are speeding?
    no, it just requires redesigning the roads. but since that would affect vehicle level of service metrics, it can't be done.

  6. #15
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    no, it just requires redesigning the roads. but since that would affect vehicle level of service metrics, it can't be done.

    Some roads get redesigned. It just takes way more effort by advocates than it should.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Arlington
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OP here, posting a update.

    As I mentioned, I followed the advice of the non-emergency dispatch and filed a report. I described the events, and provided the license plate, and said I had video to share. After a week, I had gotten no response so I called to get the case number and assigned detective. I decided to wait another week. After two weeks, still nothing from police, so I emailed the assigned detective. He was polite enough, but it was pretty obvious to me that if I hadn't contacted him I'd have never heard from them. He was quick to point out this was a traffic violation and not a criminal case. I responded, yes, I know. I then asked if having video of the incident would allow the police to issue a traffic citation. That was several weeks ago, and I've not heard from the detective since.

    The silent treatment leads me to believe that they probably can issue a citation, but have just about zero interest in doing so. I understand or imagine the reasons why, but being ignored like this has increased my cynicism about the police when it comes to matters of pedestrian and cyclist safety. I've nothing against the detective, but I'd guess his superiors are focused on airbag thefts and loud mufflers.

    In the end, I decided not to share the video, knowing there was at least a decent chance what it did or didn't show would be used against me, to make it my fault, or my son's. Sorry there's no happy ending here.
    Last edited by EasyRider; 07-13-2022 at 12:03 PM.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Posts
    427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm sorry about your experience and the lack of ACPD response. I would channel my feelings into contacting board members. Quite honestly, might be worth a brief appearance at the public comment period of a Board meeting. Looks like other cities have more "progressive" views on the ability to rely in video evidence.


    https://www.arlingtonva.us/Governmen...Board-Meetings
    https://bikeportland.org/2015/08/25/...-camera-155736
    https://www.quora.com/Can-you-report...-license-plate

  9. Likes Sunyata, scoot liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •