Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default June 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    This would make a hell of a Jeopardy question. I knew of its past- look on a Google map and you will see the lineup of trees planted along the original route. Now I must find a photo of this spot *before* it was forever changed by the freeway ramps of the TR Bridge.
    Here is a picture taken during construction. You can clearly see the Belvedere and the trees lining Constituion Avenue.

2. Likes Starduster, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Here is a picture taken during construction. You can clearly see the Belvedere and the trees lining Constituion Avenue.

The TR Bridge was a planning calamity not easily undone.

4. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    The TR Bridge was a planning calamity not easily undone.
    Just think how much easier it would be to navigate if they'd just connected up the street grids instead of building expressways to nowhere.

6. Likes Starduster, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went looking for photos of this configuration, pre-1950. That was difficult. It was easier to find its history, starting with where Tiber Creek became the Washington Canal, which became B St. NW, which became Constitution Ave. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Avenue

Post Thanks / Like

An update from my fall coming home from AFCC last weekend. I finally went back to the "scene of the crime" and did some accident reconstruction. This was a bus stop on S. Clark St, at 23rd St. S., Crystal City, Arlington. On any other day, I would be taking a lane on this street. I didn't on Saturday because race course fencing was still up, and I was determined to find a detour. Which I paid for. I had evidence- chalky concrete dust well up the sidewall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_140814.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	29060 Instead of riding the curb edge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_144031.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	29061 I tiptoed around the back side of all the sign structures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_144056.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	29062 I thought this bit of concrete did me in, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_144138.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	29063 but look at the drop-off from concrete to grass. I did not see this in time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220612_144322.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	29064 To be fair, this hazard can happen anywhere. Be safe, all!
    Last edited by Starduster; 06-12-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As an Alaskan, I never thought I would have to type this on an Arlington Bike Forum, but please keep an eye out for bear(s) [might be the same guy], which have been seen near the Custis and Mt. Vernon Trails as reported here and here.

Henry

10. Likes CaseyKane50, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    The bridge repairs have been delayed by weather and challenges in tearing up the old concrete. The contractor said they expect to finish with the repaving early next week.

Carrying this over from the May R&TC thread (can I do that?)

Pretty embarrassing turn of events on the bridge project in west Alexandria. For the past week or so, no signs of any progress at all. Then today, on Alexandria's project webpage, a brief note that the project is on hiatus due to "material shortage".

Then, down at the bridge itself, the project poster has had the completion dates taped-over, an apparent white flag from the city.

This is very frustrating because the bridge was perfectly functional up until the moment the city closed it down for repairs, and now an important connector from the Duke Street corridor to Taney Avenue is closed off indefinitely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post

Pretty embarrassing turn of events on the bridge project in west Alexandria. For the past week or so, no signs of any progress at all. Then today, on Alexandria's project webpage, a brief note that the project is on hiatus due to "material shortage".

Then, down at the bridge itself, the project poster has had the completion dates taped-over, an apparent white flag from the city.

This is very frustrating because the bridge was perfectly functional up until the moment the city closed it down for repairs, and now an important connector from the Duke Street corridor to Taney Avenue is closed off indefinitely.
    Yes, it is frustrating, but I would not say the bridge was perfectly functional before the work began. The surface had been deteriorating for several years, exposing the rebar that helps support the bridge structure. What was unfortunate was a supply disruption for the speciality concrete that they were using for the project. Probably should have ensured they had more than enough to finish the project before starting.

As to the sign, the initial dates for completion of the project were incorrect in the body of the text. The title on the sign had the correct dates. Rather than remaking the signs, the city used tape to correct the dates

This picture shows the incorrect dates in the body of the text.

The same sign with tape correcting the mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post

Here are a couple of pictures from 2019 showing the condition of the bridge surface. You can see that they had attempted to fix the deterioration with patches.

14. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    As an Alaskan, I never thought I would have to type this on an Arlington Bike Forum, but please keep an eye out for bear(s) [might be the same guy], which have been seen near the Custis and Mt. Vernon Trails as reported here and here.

Henry
    Looks like he moved down the trail a bit.

https://www.ffxnow.com/2022/06/13/be...ng-gw-parkway/