Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: White's Ferry, MD

  1. #11
    americancyclo's Avatar
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I don't think you could set the elevation manually on the 750.
    You can set elevation on the 705. It's what I'm using.

  2. #12
    vvill's Avatar
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    McLean, VA <=> DC
    Posts
    2,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I have a similar issue with the 500. I'll have to see if I can do that as well.
    Same here. Most of my ride yesterday was negative elevation. I've only had the 500 for a couple weeks so I'm still trying to figure out it's quirks.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greenbelt, MD
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I have a similar issue with the 500. I'll have to see if I can do that as well.
    You definitely can. I have elevation points set for my home and work. The only time it doesn't help is if I'm on a long ride and have to turn the unit off and back on while taking a break.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    Ouch man, that sucks. What a terrible time of year to break yourself. How did a speed bump toss you like that? I hit the speed bumps in my neighborhood going down hill around 20mph and they've never done that. Granted I'm on a mountain bike.
    I know the speed bump he's talking about. It's not a "hump" like you have in neighborhoods to slow cars down. It's more like a Mexican topee that is shaped like the Shenandoah ridge on the relatively flat plain of the east coast. It's really narrow and really steep. I went over it 2 weeks ago and it was such a jolt that I think it reset my computer.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clarendon (Arlington, VA)
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A friend had a near mishap when heading west on the W&OD. Upon arriving at the west end of the trail in Purcellville, he was so excited to see us waiting at the bike shop that he rolled right over the elevated seal in the pavement at the end of the trail without seeing it. He did manage to recover without dropping the bike, but it was close...





    Also, I believe that part of whites ferry road may be private property, so I doubt you'd get much traction trying to increase the safety there.

    Brendan

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    A friend had a near mishap when heading west on the W&OD. Upon arriving at the west end of the trail in Purcellville, he was so excited to see us waiting at the bike shop that he rolled right over the elevated seal in the pavement at the end of the trail without seeing it. He did manage to recover without dropping the bike, but it was close...





    Also, I believe that part of whites ferry road may be private property, so I doubt you'd get much traction trying to increase the safety there.

    Brendan
    My friend did the exact same thing except she wasn't so lucky, she went down.

  7. #17
    vvill's Avatar
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    McLean, VA <=> DC
    Posts
    2,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never seen that before! The one time I made it out there it was under construction. *ok face*

  8. #18
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ugh. why on earth would they think that was better than making it flush?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    ugh. why on earth would they think that was better than making it flush?
    The yellow traffic paint one would think would be a dead giveaway.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clarendon (Arlington, VA)
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    The yellow traffic paint one would think would be a dead giveaway.
    For a while. As you can see in the first picture, it is sometimes nearly entirely worn away, presumably due to unintentional jumps?

    Brendan

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •