Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappearing Bike Lanes on Kirkland Rd in Arlington

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappearing Bike Lanes on Kirkland Rd in Arlington

What happened/is happening to the bike lanes on Kirkland Rd? The south/east bound bike lanes are disappearing and being replaced with a sidewalk. The bike lane signs are still there, but the bike lane is gone and the road is narrower. Will sharrows be painted on the street? This is a major cut through from Lee Highway/Spout Run to Clarendon. Doesn't seem very bike friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

I take this route on the way home too. There's probably enough room left for them to paint a new bike lane - once they even out the pavement on the edge of the road. It's a bit scary in the meantime and the SUV's don't give you much room I had one yell at me to get on the sidewalk (and was astonished that he was a scotsman - who I would have thought would have known better).

I'm assuming they'll come back and finish this some time?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I hear that this is a work in progress and I have been assured that the bike lanes will stick around.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Kirkland Road? Do you mean Kirkwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Where is Kirkland Road? Do you mean Kirkwood?
    Yup, that's what they mean. Between Lee Hwy/Lyon Village and Clarendon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Yes, I hear that this is a work in progress and I have been assured that the bike lanes will stick around.
    any idea when this might get finished?

Post Thanks / Like

I have my peeps on the inside looking into this.

Post Thanks / Like

My peeps on the inside successfully pulled off a covert intel gathering mission. Reports suggest that it will get done in the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    My peeps on the inside successfully pulled off a covert intel gathering mission. Reports suggest that it will get done in the next couple of weeks.
    Hi, Tim,

Any word on this? When I rode through a few days ago it was still not fixed.

It's hard to understand how it improves bicycle safety to narrow the road significantly, forcing us closer to the cars, while simultaneously removing the bike lane markings! Seems to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen; I would think Arlington would want to get this completed.

Thanks,

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    Hi, Tim,

Any word on this? When I rode through a few days ago it was still not fixed.

It's hard to understand how it improves bicycle safety to narrow the road significantly, forcing us closer to the cars, while simultaneously removing the bike lane markings! Seems to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen; I would think Arlington would want to get this completed.

Thanks,

Nick
    Peeps are back on the case! I bet that if a concerned citizen wanted to make a few phone calls, it might add a little motivation...