Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to WMATA to change their policy regarding bikes during rush hour

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Then there's Saturday afternoons. Downtown. At the Smithsonian Station. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	838
    With an enormous bike. Never again.
    And enormous heels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    I agree. Selective stations and routes would be impossible to control or enforce.
    Agreed. You have people even now confused with rules that to most seem simplistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Even outside of the restricted hours it can be pretty miserable bringing your bike on a train. I work by Metro Center and tried to use the North Entrance elevator to no avail about two months ago. After hauling my bike down the escalator, the station manager was irate that I hadn't used the elevator and insisted that I go back up the escalator and use it. I informed him that it was broken and had a maintenance sign on the door to which he replied "Well you should've still tried using it." I love Metro.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like DCist doesn't like this either.... although, I love the idea of allowing bikes going the opposite direction of rush hour.... I also LOVE the idea of reserving the front/back train for passengers with bicycles!

http://dcist.com/2012/03/should_bike...n_metro_th.php

Post Thanks / Like

I def agree that trying to get a bike at 5pm is total chaos. My suggestion is to at least reduce the hours, at least one hour. 7pm is ridiculous.

I get out of work at 6-630pm and sometimes, specially during the winter, I may not want to ride 14miles back home in the dark/cold. I've gotten good at sneaking into the metro but been stopped as well. Trains are empty at this time. maybe reduce it to 6pm and in the morning allow after 830am, every other train is empty at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I know!!! They should put these on the back of the 6 car trains!! I'm sure the FRA would not be pleased, but what they don't know doesn't hurt us.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you defined an inner core, and said no bikes in the core during rush hour, you'd be fine. It's easy to forget that some of the distances even between two stations can be great as you get further out in the system. Bikes during rush hour would only be allowed for those staying outside the core -- e.g. the Columbia Heights to Greenbelt example. It would probably make bike commuting more attractive for some who work, say 3 miles from a Metro stop, but 10 miles from home, and aren't up for the long commute.

I realize that even the outlying stations can be full during rush hour, but that's where you make the common sense rule that people have priority.

Enforcement and communication wouldn't be much harder than for the current rule.

Lastly, why should we concede that bikes DON'T belong on Metro during peak hours? Given the overcrowded system we have now, it makes sense to have some restriction in the short term, but as we expand they should be planning for ways to make Metro bike friendly all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

And how do you keep people from abusing the giant security hole and keep them out of the "inner core"? It is impossible. Rules and laws can not be based on "well it is ok for right now". Once you're through the fare gates, you can go anywhere on any line. There is no control. It is impossible. We're conceding they don't belong on metro during rush hour because they DON'T. Building bikes into future expansion is going to be problematic. The trains are and always will only be maximum 8 cars. The platforms have 32 cars worth of people on them, and that number will always grow. Unless you plan on renting a tunnel boring machine to make the platforms all twice as long, it's not going to happen.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The "inner core" idea is somewhat farcical on some lines even now, and will become even more so with the silver line. There are a whole lot of crowded trains outside the core. The platforms are better, but does anyone really believe that people will really not try to cram bikes on overcrowded trains once they're on the platform?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

And how do you keep people from abusing the giant security hole and keep them out of the "inner core"?
    If you're caught with a bike in the inner core during the window, you get a ticket. It's really not that hard. It's the same enforcement that's used for most everything else -- e.g. you jump the fare gate, you get a ticket.

We're conceding they don't belong on metro during rush hour because they DON'T.
    I simply disagree with you. I think any functioning public transportation system should serve all of its riders. Some of those riders choose to ride bikes to and from stations, and taking the bikes on the trains just makes sense. I'll give you that Metro currently isn't a functioning system, so limitations on bikes now make sense. But as we work to make it better, I believe we shouldn't concede that bikes don't belong. There are plenty of examples from Europe and elsewhere in the U.S. where bikes can go on trains all the time.

Oh, and I meant to second the point that's been made that the rush hour window is currently too big. If only Metro released ridership data like some public transportation systems...