Thread: Towing a kayak trailer behind my bike...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Towing a kayak trailer behind my bike...

Has anyone done anything like this?? I keep my 16ft kayak at Jack's Boat House in Georgetown under the key bridge. But there are times when I might want to take it up to fletcher's cove or other places along the C&O. Or, even take it down to Gravely Point. I think this would be a great way to get it around and not have to drive through Georgetown on a summer weekend. That sells for about $800 shipped, which is pricey. I might consider making one myself. A few things come to mind...

1) Now I can put trailer lights on my lighting system!
    2) This will really piss off the jerks who like to zig-zag pass people with no calls at high speed.
    3) I wonder how much harder it will be to pedal up the CCT with this behind me??

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen flatbed trailers getting towed around downtown by some of the bike messengers that appear to be 8 foot or so long and look perfect for a kayak.

Didn't look to be too complicated, I'm sure with a little ingenuity and perhaps a kid trailer for parts?

Post Thanks / Like

I would just build my own, you could probably do a decent job for under $300 or so, depending on what material/wheels you went with. In my limited experience with trailers, the hierarchy of quality goes mounting clamp, weight, wheel diameter, and then tire diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a trip to Home Depot and the bike shop (wheels) is in order soon. Maybe I can rig up trailer brakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Bikes At Work has a nice set of heavy duty general purpose bike trailers, here's a picture of one carrying a 24' ladder, though might run over $500;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long-extension-ladder-on-96a-bike-trailer-200x92.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	832

Wike has a trailer specifically for kayaks for only $179, which might be preferred if you don't have other bike cargo needs.

http://www.wike.ca/kayak_bicycle_trailer.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikeandkayakfront360.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	833

16' is still a bit long to be maneuvering on any winding trails (I'm not familiar with the CCT). Like learning how to drive a tractor-trailer, keeping a dynamic physical model of the current and projected positioning of the trailer in one's mind is important when moving along trails and roads.
    Last edited by WillStewart; 03-16-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added Wike

Post Thanks / Like

You could also put the bike onto the kayak or so a few folks did in pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillStewart View Post
    Wike has a trailer specifically for kayaks for only $179, which might be preferred if you don't have other bike cargo needs.

http://www.wike.ca/kayak_bicycle_trailer.php

16' is still a bit long to be maneuvering on any winding trails (I'm not familiar with the CCT). Like learning how to drive a tractor-trailer, keeping a dynamic physical model of the current and projected positioning of the trailer in one's mind is important when moving along trails and roads.
    That is exactly what I was thinking of building. Basically a portage cart, and then someone to hitch the front of the kayak to the back of the bike. I don't like the wheels on that trailer they sell. I want stronger real bike wheels.

I drove fire trucks for the last 10 years, and a few boat trailers here and there. This should be easy! Most of the places I'm thinking of going do not have any sharp turns. Going down hills should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    You could also put the bike onto the kayak or so a few folks did in pictures.
    I saw that. I don't have fishing outriggers for the kayak, but that is pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha!

http://www.rei.com/product/815324/seattle-sports-atc-boat-cart

$
    140 and it can fold up so I can lock it to the rack at the boat yard. So all I need to do is make something to hitch the kayak to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like perhaps a similar model?