Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: A Place to Rest after Climbing 41st

Post Thanks / Like

Cool A Place to Rest after Climbing 41st

Saw this post on NextDoor and had to share this amazing act of kindness.

If you use the cycling/hiking trail from north Arlington over Chain Bridge, you'll have a clear impression of the hill that rises from Chain Bridge up 41st Street North to North Randolph Street (AKA "The Wall"). It's just a monster. We live at the top of that hill in the log cabin house. We've constructed a new stone wall with a wide flat top at comfortable seating height right next to the trail. It's ours, but it's really yours. Please feel free to use it to catch your breath after summiting or stretch before running or whatever. We built it out of empathy for every red-faced, gasping, wide-eyed person who has conquered The Wall, but could use a bit of a break. We hope it helps.

Name:  41st.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  20.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Saw this post on NextDoor and had to share this amazing act of kindness.

If you use the cycling/hiking trail from north Arlington over Chain Bridge, you'll have a clear impression of the hill that rises from Chain Bridge up 41st Street North to North Randolph Street (AKA "The Wall"). It's just a monster. We live at the top of that hill in the log cabin house. We've constructed a new stone wall with a wide flat top at comfortable seating height right next to the trail. It's ours, but it's really yours. Please feel free to use it to catch your breath after summiting or stretch before running or whatever. We built it out of empathy for every red-faced, gasping, wide-eyed person who has conquered The Wall, but could use a bit of a break. We hope it helps.

Name:  41st.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  20.9 KB
    That is so nice! Little things in this crazy world make such a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, though a bench is so much better than a wall, for sitting, if providing seating is your goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    Thanks, though a bench is so much better than a wall, for sitting, if providing seating is your goal.
    I think they'd have had to rip out the plantings for that, if I'm understanding the location correctly--doesn't look like enough room for a bench, so this seems like a creative approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that's the place with the beehives I believe. So cool.

I usually rest by doing the little half-mile loop (Randolph/Richmond) before going on to Glebe or Military, but that place is so cool, I'm likely to stop next time.

The 41st St climb: part of what makes Arlington great.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Riding back from my run Saturday, chatted briefly with a chap using this bench/wall. He wasn't resting though; he was waiting for his wife to pick him up after breaking his derailleur hanger. They have done a really good job--it's the perfect height for a sit.

8. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Place to Rest after Climbing 41st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 04-24-2022 at 11:23 AM.