Likes Likes:  56
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: FSLNHPP 2022 (Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default FSLNHPP 2022 (Freezing Saddles Last Night Hains Point Party)

    Freezing Saddles ends at 11:59:59 on March 19, the last full day of winter.

    Every year since 2014 Freezing Saddles participants have gathered at Hains Point, ridden in circles, stopped their GPS devices shortly before midnight, and shared a toast to curse winter and celebrate another year of Freezing Saddles.

    For the first time this year, I will miss this illustrious event, as I will be in N. Carolina for Croatan.

    Therefore I am asking for someone else to take on the task of promoting and "organizing" the FSLNHPP. There's not a lot to organize, actually. It's mostly communicating with participants and teams and encouraging people to bring food, drink and entertainment to Hains Point. And then wrangle the riders for a final group lap in time to finish before midnight.

  2. Likes DrBullet liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    NE DC 20002
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default (merge with, Hamster Dance?)

    In a word YES!

    In more words: the DC Bike Party crew can lead the effort and make this happen. I had a post a while back about us hosting a "hamster dance" and weather and scheduling conflicts had us looking into early March. Buuuuut... if folks are cool with us bring a somewhat larger crowd to the scene to cheer on the final laps, I think this could be quite serendipitous for the closing party.

    Generally what we're thinking is:

    • we'll promote the event with the bike community, asking folks to party with us and welcome the spring
    • we'll lead a group ride at 8pm from Dupont Circle to Haines Point
    • and we'll park our mobile sound system at the southern parking lot where folks can dance and socialize all night, and/or loop de loop de loop de loop...
    • around 11:15 pm we'll get the sound system moving and invite everyone there to roll around the island "party pace" a couple more times... then we'll be off!
    • we'll end the season finale HP ride back at the southern lot, we'll eat some toasty toast (or something like that) and call it a night.


    Sound good? If anyone else can help we'll absolutely welcome it. Particularly, we might want to take up a bit of a collection for the toast part to make sure we have enough... bread.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Freezing Saddles ends at 11:59:59 on March 19, the last full day of winter.

    Every year since 2014 Freezing Saddles participants have gathered at Hains Point, ridden in circles, stopped their GPS devices shortly before midnight, and shared a toast to curse winter and celebrate another year of Freezing Saddles.

    For the first time this year, I will miss this illustrious event, as I will be in N. Carolina for Croatan.

    Therefore I am asking for someone else to take on the task of promoting and "organizing" the FSLNHPP. There's not a lot to organize, actually. It's mostly communicating with participants and teams and encouraging people to bring food, drink and entertainment to Hains Point. And then wrangle the riders for a final group lap in time to finish before midnight.

  4. ELITE Steve O ELITED this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Mantua / Fairfax
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Are food trucks allowed down at Hains Point?

    Are food trucks allowed down at Hains Point?
    ...that might be an easier option than having to bring/arrange food...if they are allowed there...or nearby??
    It will be a Saturday night...seems like a good time to party

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    NE DC 20002
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default food trucks :(

    Quote Originally Posted by DrBullet View Post
    Are food trucks allowed down at Hains Point?
    ...that might be an easier option than having to bring/arrange food...if they are allowed there...or nearby??
    It will be a Saturday night...seems like a good time to party
    nerp .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 4.37.50 PM.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	28474

  7. Likes Serdar liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    4,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While I appreciate the offer and think DC Bike Party is great, I would not be in favor of you all taking over FSLNHPP. It's a Freezing Saddles party, not a bike party - the whole point is to celebrate the last day of being obligated to go ride your bike in crummy weather. Having a bunch of people there who didn't go through the competition together just doesn't feel right.

  9. Likes Sunyata, LhasaCM, secstate liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, not a big fan of amplified music, food trucks, etc., in a park setting. Plus it's expressly prohibited by NPS regulations. Keeping a lower profile might be a good idea. There is enough obnoxious behavior at HP/Ohio Drive as it is.

  11. Likes Sunyata, secstate liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    NE DC 20002
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default so....

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    While I appreciate the offer and think DC Bike Party is great, I would not be in favor of you all taking over FSLNHPP. It's a Freezing Saddles party, not a bike party - the whole point is to celebrate the last day of being obligated to go ride your bike in crummy weather. Having a bunch of people there who didn't go through the competition together just doesn't feel right.
    This is a fair perspective which is why I wanted to post for discussion / perhaps consensus(?) before just doing it.

    To be clear, our offer is to invite and encourage a wider group of cyclists to join / cheer us on. They might just mind their own business, but they might also talk to us... and might even consider doing it next year.... or they might not, you know? We would be inviting more folks to the large open public space, so this would be different from the smaller event I attended last year.

    We would bring sound. That is sorta our thing, and I'd just say a couple different community rides have been doing similar "chill vibe" sorts of bike/dance events every month since 2020 without attracting Park Officials. The sound from the trailer is actually quite directional, meaning that if we point it in one direction it doesn't "bleed" very much in other directions in a wide open space. (Incidentally, I was at HP doing laps on NYE and there was a group that set up a PA system outside a RV. Park Officials did ask them to shut it down around 1:30 am.)

    We are *not* talking about food trucks though, but since we'll be there a while, we would encourage folks to pack snacks / picnics.

    I'm not particularly plugged in to leadership here but is there a process? Is anyone else offering to organize the party on the 19th? If DCBP isn't going to then we'd still like to try to make the Hamster Dance thing materialize before the 19th, and then it sounds like someone else would need to take point for the official FSLNHPP.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    While I appreciate the offer and think DC Bike Party is great, I would not be in favor of you all taking over FSLNHPP. It's a Freezing Saddles party, not a bike party - the whole point is to celebrate the last day of being obligated to go ride your bike in crummy weather. Having a bunch of people there who didn't go through the competition together just doesn't feel right.
    OTOH - The idea of Freezing Saddles is to build community, and spreading the joy of FS to others isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some of these bike party people may end up being avid participants in FS2023.

    We've also had music before, although on a smaller scale (like bluetooth speaker), and balloons and stuff.

    And, of course, FS doesn't own Hains Point. Anyone can ride their bike around for any reason they want, so if Bike Party wanted to do so, they could.

    I would support this, in particular if Bike Party promoted it as a Freezing Saddles event at which they are invited and welcome guests.

    I guess if there are 250 BP folks and 25 FS it might seem out of balance, but given it's a Saturday, I bet there will be more than 50 FSers.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    NE DC 20002
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    \in particular if Bike Party promoted it as a Freezing Saddles event at which they are invited and welcome guests.

    I guess if there are 250 BP folks and 25 FS it might seem out of balance, but given it's a Saturday, I bet there will be more than 50 FSers.
    We could definitely promote it like that.

    I agree the turnout # is a bit unknown... we'd almost certainly start the evening with more community folks than will stick around until midnight.

  15. Likes Nadine, SamScruggs, Steve O, DrBullet, rumipumi liked this post
  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As the unofficial organizer of the FSLNHPP, even though I won't be there this year, I'd like to unofficially invite Bike Party to share Hains Point with Freezing Saddles on the night of March 19.

    I think it will be fun, and I'm sorry I will miss. Go for it.

    Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •