Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Suggest an overnight bike trip

  1. #1
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Suggest an overnight bike trip

    I'd like to do a bike overnight, riding from home (in NW ALX, 2 miles from Shirlington)

    I don't ride very fast, and do not want to arrive totally exhausted, and want to make it home without being too exhausted (I mean I want to make it home) . I have never done an overnight bike trip, and my longest ride in one day was a century, which I did once, several years ago.


    The logical place would be Harper's Ferry, but I think I would prefer to do this on my road bike, not the hybrid with somewhat wider tires, and I don't think I want to take the road bike up the C&O. But that gives you an idea of the distance I would be contemplating.

    I could do Purcellville but not much lodging there? There used to be a hostel in Round Hill I think but I can find no signs of it on line, and Im not sure I would want to stay in a hostel till cases are lower.

    Heading south or southeast, the roads get kind of intimidating before you get very far from here. I mean its one thing to have 10 miles of the trip be on roads with no infra, and have say a half mile be on nasty ones. But if 40 miles is on roads with no infra, and 10 miles are on nasty ones, that's not a fun trip.

    Maybe Baltimore? Of course I have been there a lot (I lived there for 6 years) but have never biked northeast beyond College Park, so at least the ride there would be novel.

    If no better idea comes up, I will do Harpers Ferry on the hybrid.

    Your ideas are appreciated.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 02-14-2022 at 07:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Suggest an overnight bike trip

    Ken,

    If you are willing to drive or ride the train, you might consider the Virginia Capitol Trail. You could begin your trip in Richmond, overnight in Yorktown and ride back to Richmond the next. Stay an extra day in Richmond and take in ride opportunities in the city.

    Along the trail


    Bridge crossing the James River into downtown Richmond.


    Street art in Richmond
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 02-14-2022 at 12:21 PM.

  3. #3
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Ken,

    If you are willing to drive or ride the train, you might consider the Virginia Capitol Trail. You could begin your trip in Richmond, overnight in Yorktown and ride back to Richmond the next. Stay an extra day in Richmond and take in ride opportunities in the city.

    Along the trail


    Bridge crossing the James River into downtown Richmond.


    Street art in Richmond
    Thanks, I am sure that's a great ride. I have walked some of the part in the City of Richmond.

    But I don't want to deal with getting and using a rack for our car, or trying to deal with fitting the bike inside the car. And while I am eager to ride Amtrak again, I would have to negotiate that with family, so that's going to be somewhat later, I think. Another option is driving somewhere and renting a bike I suppose.

    For now I want to see where I can ride from here. The choices I can see are either Baltimore or Harpers Ferry (even if the latter means riding the hybrid). Just wondering if there is something I have overlooked.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ken - Bear's Den Hostel near Snickers Gap is a good place to stay. You could ride to the end of the W&OD and then along some two lane country roads to get there. We made this the first leg of our Alexandria - Skyline Drive - Staunton ride with a return to Alexandria on Amtrak. Bears Den offers camping space as well as a separate cottage. I agree I wouldn't want to do any communal lodging right now.

    The Other Ken.

  5. Likes lordofthemark, Steve O liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Ken - Bear's Den Hostel near Snickers Gap is a good place to stay. You could ride to the end of the W&OD and then along some two lane country roads to get there. We made this the first leg of our Alexandria - Skyline Drive - Staunton ride with a return to Alexandria on Amtrak. Bears Den offers camping space as well as a separate cottage. I agree I wouldn't want to do any communal lodging right now.

    The Other Ken.
    Great idea, The Other Ken. KWL, happy to help with routing from the end of the W&OD to Bears Den. I do a lot of riding out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you were willing to camp, I would have lots of suggestions for you. Otherwise, there are several bed and breakfast options in Loudoun County on some quiet country roads (most of which are gravel, but could be ridden on a road bike with wider tires). Unfortunately, I do not have many paved options either.

  9. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What about Annapolis? It's a decent ride and a nice destination. Plus, if you can get familial permission to take the MARC train, there's the option of riding the B&A and BWI trails to BWI, then taking the MARC back to Union Station.

  11. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
  12. #8
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Ken - Bear's Den Hostel near Snickers Gap is a good place to stay. You could ride to the end of the W&OD and then along some two lane country roads to get there. We made this the first leg of our Alexandria - Skyline Drive - Staunton ride with a return to Alexandria on Amtrak. Bears Den offers camping space as well as a separate cottage. I agree I wouldn't want to do any communal lodging right now.

    The Other Ken.
    Thanks. Bear's Den is what I meant, I somehow thought it was in Round Hill. I guess this could work. I won't be camping and I don't think I want to rent a whole cottage to stay by myself (this would be a sort of get away from it all trip) but I think they have smaller private rooms? Only question would be if there is a place to eat near enough? Or I suppose I could eat in Purcellville before going to the hostel (I don't expect to carry much food).

    Other question is the elevatation from Purcellville to Bear's Den. I will be tired by then, and I don't want to go painfully slowly on roads with any traffic.

  13. #9
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    If you were willing to camp, I would have lots of suggestions for you. Otherwise, there are several bed and breakfast options in Loudoun County on some quiet country roads (most of which are gravel, but could be ridden on a road bike with wider tires). Unfortunately, I do not have many paved options either.

    Thanks. I'm going to save B&Bs for a trip with QOTM. I was thinking something more spartan, like a motel. I'd rather not try riding gravel on my road bike.

  14. Likes Sunyata liked this post
  15. #10
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    What about Annapolis? It's a decent ride and a nice destination. Plus, if you can get familial permission to take the MARC train, there's the option of riding the B&A and BWI trails to BWI, then taking the MARC back to Union Station.
    yes, annapolis might be an alternative to Baltimore.

    I was thinking if I can ride out, I can ride back. So I can skip MARC for now (though I would like to do it at some point).

  16. Likes CBGanimal liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •