Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default February 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

New Month. New Thread. Puxautawney Phil reporting soon.

2. Dislikes consularrider disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The third 4MRT ford going west from Columbia Pike is still flooded and someone has placed rocks along the outer edge.

4. Likes wheels&wings, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

News for people who ride through Foggy Bottom, the roadworks fencing blocking half of 21st St NW on the East side of the State Dept between Virginia Ave and C St NW has been removed, while that block remains a one-way street heading South the East sidewalk has been opened up so you no longer need to cross 21st St twice to avoid the obstruction when travelling Northbound from the Mall towards the 21st St & Virginia Ave PBL's.
    Last edited by Dewey; 02-03-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

From yesterday (Wed. Feb. 2): The Rock Creek Trail was closed in front of the river side of the Kennedy Center. To me it looked like repaving work that not been completed yet. No idea when it will reopen. They offered a detour. *Except*... detour led across the Parkway to a crosswalk ramp under construction- freshly poured concrete. Damn. So backtracked to Virginia Ave. NW and rode a splendid Protected Bikeway to the Kennedy Center. My detour afforded me a bonus I had not known about, below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220202_145836.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	27371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220202_145853.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	27372

Back across via the TR Bridge. Believe it or not, my first time. Not thrilled that it is one bike width wide with low barriers. Also not thrilled with the root-heaved pavement down to Trollheim. That an issue for NPS?
    Last edited by Starduster; 02-03-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    rode a splendid Protected Bikeway to the Kennedy Center.
    It's a very useful PBL. But, the section from Rock Creek Parkway to the Watergate has no flexposts. Totally fine going uphill (toward Foggy Bottom) but the two times I've taken it the other way (downhill) I have had cars turn in front of me (including twice yesterday!). Drivers are definitely not expecting counterflow traffic. I think I will continue to use the traffic lanes when heading from Foggy Bottom toward the boathouse and Georgetown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    It's a very useful PBL. But, the section from Rock Creek Parkway to the Watergate has no flexposts. Totally fine going uphill (toward Foggy Bottom) but the two times I've taken it the other way (downhill) I have had cars turn in front of me (including twice yesterday!). Drivers are definitely not expecting counterflow traffic. I think I will continue to use the traffic lanes when heading from Foggy Bottom toward the boathouse and Georgetown.
    Please take care: the lanes on Virginia Ave are still under construction. Flexposts/concrete barriers have yet to be installed along the entire corridor and, more importantly, signals are not yet installed/operational. It's usable-ish right now if you're very confident and brave, but I would not recommend it to people until it's done this spring.

9. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    not thrilled with the root-heaved pavement down to Trollheim. That an issue for NPS?
    I think Judd mentioned NPS were supposed to work on it last month but then the fallen trees and ice from the snowstorm appear to have delayed it, last summer was told there are only two NPS guys doing trail maintenance for the length of the MT Vernon trail so they’ve been kept busy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Please take care: the lanes on Virginia Ave are still under construction. Flexposts/concrete barriers have yet to be installed along the entire corridor and, more importantly, signals are not yet installed/operational. It's usable-ish right now if you're very confident and brave, but I would not recommend it to people until it's done this spring.
    Great to know there are plans to signalize it and install barriers. It is pretty dodgy at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    News for people who ride through Foggy Bottom, the roadworks fencing blocking half of 21st St NW on the East side of the State Dept between Virginia Ave and C St NW has been removed, while that block remains a one-way street heading South the East sidewalk has been opened up so you no longer need to cross 21st St twice to avoid the obstruction when travelling Northbound from the Mall towards the 21st St & Virginia Ave PBL's.
    That's on my normal route home, and that right lane has been closed for what seems like years. Here's hoping for improved access to the Memorial Bridge from the 21st/20th Streets PBLs. Going south, I usually do a "Crazy Ivan" west on Constitution and a "green arrow" onto Henry Bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    And beware of the bad drain grates in the eastbound lane. At least one of them has a gap big enough to eat your front wheel.