Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a stop sign, a bike lane with bike, a car wanting to turn right : what are the laws?

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    By definition you will be stopping as well as overtaking the bicycle, in which case you throw 18.2202.09 in which discusses 'safely clear of the overtaken bicycle' the 3' rule and the previous discussed no stopping in a bicycle lane law. I think you get some legal ambiguity in that sense. The solution of the DC council is to specify the law in this regard the same way they do in 18.2202 noting if it's an actual bicycle lane, etc.
    it still seems like you're creating confusion where there doesn't need to be any. if it's not safe to pass and move in front of the bike, you slow and move over once the bike is past. what am I missing that makes this so complicated?

Post Thanks / Like

Related: anyone else often check to see if the car stopped behind you in the right lane (or over into the bike lane) is planning a right turn and decide to move out of the way to let them make a right on red? Anyone ever been honked at for not doing this?

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    Related: anyone else often check to see if the car stopped behind you in the right lane (or over into the bike lane) is planning a right turn and decide to move out of the way to let them make a right on red? Anyone ever been honked at for not doing this?

Brendan
    Yes to both. I usually get out of the way if it is feasible (e.g., if it wouldn't interfere with pedestrians and/or the car in the next lane over isn't already fully encroached into the crosswalk).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    it still seems like you're creating confusion where there doesn't need to be any. if it's not safe to pass and move in front of the bike, you slow and move over once the bike is past. what am I missing that makes this so complicated?
    I don't think you're confused as much as you're disagreeing. So I'm just going to agree to disagree because I don't feel like arguing what I see as conflicts within the law again.