Likes Likes:  72
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: January 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon. Photos from my own ride on the W&OD around 1:00 PM: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_131144.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	25950 Every wood surface bridge from the Pike to the Bluemont Connector was this icy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_130848.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	25951 There however was good news- crews are repairing the foundation of one of the washed out bridges on the Four Mile Run Trail at Glencarlyn Park. First step to replacement.
    Last edited by Starduster; 01-15-2022 at 09:29 AM.

2. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update from NPS: they have completed tree work between Mount Vernon and the Stone Bridge. They’ll keep continuing north each day. They are clearing trail obstructions as well as cutting back damaged and hanging branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes lordofthemark, Boomer2U, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-treatment is occurring on Arlington trails. Around 8 am I noticed a LOT of salt on the Washington Blvd trail (the one between Rt 50 and Towers Park), it almost felt like riding on gravel. Around 9 am the bike lanes on S Hayes-18th were treated and they were treating Eads – I nearly caught up with the vehicle, but he turned south on 4MRT and I turned North (or is that east and west at that point?). I presume other trails will be done as the roads are also being treated. So, depending on what happens on Sunday and Monday, we may not be in bad shape for riding.

6. Likes wheels&wings, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Eads Street bike Lane in Crystal City is clear, and treated w/ pickle juice today.

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Good afternoon. Photos from my own ride on the W&OD around 1:00 PM: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_131144.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	25950 Every wood surface bridge from the Pike to the Bluemont Connector was this icy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220113_130848.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	25951 There however was good news- crews are repairing the foundation of one of the washed out bridges on the Four Mile Run Trail at Glencarlyn Park. First step to replacement.
    Bridge repair work at Glencarlyn Park reminded me of the other flood-related trail repair in progress along Dora Kelly Nature Park and the Holmes Run Trail in Alexandria. That work will not be complete until late 2023: https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/inf...aspx?id=113304

Post Thanks / Like

Talking of Holmes Run right next to Dora Kelly - have they removed the giant snags across the downcreek portion of trail? Rode through there just after dark and almost got brained.

Post Thanks / Like

MVT in good shape between Four Mile Run and LBJ. A little bit of slushy ice on the bridges near the airport. I cleaned off the flooding debris on Four Mile Run as it joins the MVT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes CaseyKane50, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(as of 4pm Monday afternoon)

W&OD in good shape from Columbia Pike to Benjamin Banneker park. A little icy on some of the bridges, but all had at least a narrow ice-free path through. Otherwise mostly clear edge-to-edge.

I started to cross the new W&OD bridge over 29, but decided it was too icy for my taste and turned back around. (I didn't take the W&OD from Banneker to the 29 bridge, I took Van Buren to 19th... so no idea if that stretch of the W&OD right along 66 that gets little/no sun is bad or not.)

14. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rode an Arlington Loop this morning with 4MRT instead of W&OD where they overlap. Generally clear, but a couple of trouble spots:
    Custis:
    * I-66 Glebe exit overpass was frozen melt, i.e., smoother ice, on downhill side, but I expect that to disappear as temps and sun appear.
    *Overpass along I-66 over spout run was the usual frozen melt, but passable.
    MVT:
    *Trollheim was remarkably clear, not perfectly clear, but much better than I expected. Wood side to side much of the time and the snowy/icy patches had trails through them – ALl but two were to the wood and those two weren’t long sections and could be ridden over.
    *Airport bridges had southbound lanes clear except at southern ends, but short and passable.
    4MRT:
    *ford just north of Arlington Mill completely flooded (the arrangement of boulders has been bad lately and seems to get this one blocked after every rain)
    *trail along/through Glenn Carlyn park is crunchy with footprints (lots of tarmack, but logs of ice too) – expect to melt as temp rises
    *trail just north of rt-50 (the hill) is crunchy with footprints – expect to melt as temp rises (north side gets little sun, however)

16. Likes Judd, bentbike33 liked this post
    ELITE wheels&wings ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you!

This is simply a note of gratitude to those who take the effort to post these reports on trail conditions. Even when there’s not been a major new weather event, I am always wondering what has melted or frozen over, and to what extent I should stick to the roads or venture onto the trails …pick your poison, cars or ice or both! I really appreciate the updates. w&w